DIY Bike and Trike Plans

Thread: off road trike for hunting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default off road trike for hunting

This morning at our town breakfast (american vets monthly benefit town breakfast) I was question if a motorized bike / trike could be built.
    My first thought was a Street Fox with rear suspension, a mid drive 48v motor (needed for hill climbing) with about 85 pounds of camping gear.
    Keep the front track about 30 inches for ease of going through a gate (need to measure) a rear rack that holds gear similar to panniers (rack mounts on each side of the rear wheel) battery mounted behind seat back.
    Use 48H x 20" x 3/4" wheel hubs. Rear 20 inch as well for slight low gear improvement.
    Thinking 2 inch box tube frame with cross bar under the frame instead of on top for increased rider height (woopi 2 inches higher). Add gussets to cross bar for added rigidity.
    Oh yea, a 4 inch x 20 inch fat tire on the rear and maybe on the front?
    It rains almost every day here in Washington but it isn't as COLD as Idaho

Default Re: off road trike for hunting

A delta trike with twin freewheels or a differential would likely be better offroad methinks. I just got a fantastic idea: you need to build an all wheel drive tadpole trike! It would be easy for us to spend your money coming up with ideas for you while you build and document it!
    K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without

Images

all wheel drive tadpole!! it's too early for Jack Daniels lol

Well, nuts. Guess I'm done with ya.

just kidding!

But I do think a delta would be better for traction purposes, maybe even with a simple one wheel drive that can be turned into a simple posi with a sliding collar that couples the two axle halves together when needed. Use the keyway with a full length key, maybe. Or for good strength weld a short splined shaft on the end of each half shaft to couple together with. Just throwing ideas. The idea of an offroad hunting trike is good, but I wouldn't want to rely on one wheel drive. At least not where I live in the north Appalachia mountains.
    K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without

Images

have built Delta as well as Tadpole trikes. IMO a Tadpole is easier to build with only one rear wheel plus the COG is better suited for off road.
    Have cobbled several freewheel differentials with great success but the weight factor is there.
    One fat tire in the rear should do the trick.

I'm not at all sure about tadpole with single wheel drive at rear for this purpose, unless you plan to ride only on hard-packed tracks.

When I tried my tadpole velomobile on gravel tracks or wet grass (both flat), it lost traction on quite minor obstructions as the single drive wheel attempted to push two undriven front wheels through.

It might be worth trying a tadpole loaded to approximate planned weight in some intended locations, before you commit to the build.

Images

The intended terain has had numerous bicycles with 4 inch fat tires on them with no problems that I am aware of.
    When the spring weather gets here I plan to try and ride my street fox with 26inch MTB rear tire to give it a test ride. Don't have any fat tires in my possession.
    Should look into purchasing some 20 inch fat tire wheels.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrIdaho View Post
    The intended terain has had numerous bicycles with 4 inch fat tires on them with no problems that I am aware of.
    When the spring weather gets here I plan to try and ride my street fox with 26inch MTB rear tire to give it a test ride. Don't have any fat tires in my possession.
    Should look into purchasing some 20 inch fat tire wheels.
    Here's a thread by a guy who built a hunting trike and did just what was suggested here - a Timberwolf delta with double freewheel for 2WD: http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showth...ght=timberwolf. He has a thread on a separate non AZ forum with pics, HERE.