DIY Bike and Trike Plans



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    Hi everyone,

    Have some very exciting news that I would like to share with you. A week ago I came across some 3D model files, of a similar design to the Sunrider velomobile, which are being offered free to the public on the Alligt.nl web site and they are calling the design 'Allrider'.


    Although the web site (listed below) is in Dutch, the address can be pasted in a Google search page for selecting a translated version.

    http://www.alligt.nl/bodies/allrider.html

    Fortunately, one of the formats provided is in a Rhino (Rhinoceros) 3D modeling file format, which I was able to open, review and most important, edit the file. Although most of the models are lacking material thickness and there are three shell file layouts available, I was able to use one of the models to create section cuts of the shell.

    After some evaluation and a few test runs, finally decided to design the section cut intervals to correspond with 2" insulation foam board --- for creating either a fiberglass or zotefoam shaping mold --- or some sections cuts can be removed for creating a form for using wood canoe building techniques.

    In addition, each section cut is setup at full scale on 30 x 42 sheets and all in one PDF format file, which can be printed at a large format printing service bureau. Other options are purchasing a poster printing programs like 'Rasterbator' or 'CutePDF Writer' --- or using any good illustration programs like 'Adobe Illustrator" or 'CorelDraw!', and I have also successfully tested even Acrobat Reader X (10) for poster printing capability.


    Have thoroughly enjoyed the past week working out the details for sectioning the velomobile shell and compiling the information, which is represented in the files listed below.
    (I was unable to upload a PDF file format to the forum site, so please let me know if you are interested in copies of the files and I can email them to you.)

    SunRider_INFO-Photos_120427.pdf
    SunRider_Profile_8thScale_120428.pdf
    SunRider_Profile_FullScale_120428.pdf
    SunRider_Sections_120427.pdf


    In addition, I had previously made a scaled profile vector drawing of the Warrior Trike, for creating a Coroplast shell, and used this layout to determine if there were any fit or clearance issues with the 3D model shell. On preliminary review and placing the two front wheels centered in the shell wheel wells, it appears that there are some issues that might need to be addressed.


    One is the rear wheel being further forward than the Sunrider version, which might effect cargo carrying capability in the rear.

    Another is with a 30" track width on the Warrior Trike and 28" overall width on the shell, and depending on the tire width, they might stick out by about 2" on both sides of the shell.

    The only other consideration is the steering, which in the original Sunrider is accomplish with a stick tiller on both sides. However, the Warrior Trike uses USS where the wheel wells and bottom of the shell could interfere with that steering arrangement. The steering assembly is probably the area needing the most attention and/or modification.

    Other than these issues of concern and possibly making some changes to both, looks like combining the two might work! A example of a compiled image is provided below.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SunRider_Profile_120428_sm.jpg 
Views:	2063 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	4237

    If you request copies of the PDF files, please let me know what you think of the information provided. Most important, if it is of any value in building a velomobile shell and if there are any questions, or require additional information and/or other sections to assist or clarify construction. Thanks.


    Neil

  2. #2

    Default

    These plans look great. If you are wanting to build a velomobile this would be a great way to do it.

  3. #3

    Default

    These plans look great. If you are wanting to build a velomobile this would be a great way to do it.o

  4. #4

    Default

    Oops. Posting from my phone and look what I did.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gillies, Ontario
    Posts
    5,156
    Images
    133

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    Great info, look forward to the progress.
    Thanks for posting here.

    Brad

  6. #6

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    Quote Originally Posted by nrbiers View Post
    Hi everyone,

    Have some very exciting news that I would like to share with you. A week ago I came across some 3D model files, of a similar design to the Sunrider velomobile, which are being offered free to the public on the Alligt.nl web site and they are calling the design 'Allrider'.


    Although the web site (listed below) is in Dutch, the address can be pasted in a Google search page for selecting a translated version.

    http://www.alligt.nl/bodies/allrider.html

    Fortunately, one of the formats provided is in a Rhino (Rhinoceros) 3D modeling file format, which I was able to open, review and most important, edit the file. Although most of the models are lacking material thickness and there are three shell file layouts available, I was able to use one of the models to create section cuts of the shell.

    After some evaluation and a few test runs, finally decided to design the section cut intervals to correspond with 2" insulation foam board --- for creating either a fiberglass or zotefoam shaping mold --- or some sections cuts can be removed for creating a form for using wood canoe building techniques.

    In addition, each section cut is setup at full scale on 30 x 42 sheets and all in one PDF format file, which can be printed at a large format printing service bureau. Other options are purchasing a poster printing programs like 'Rasterbator' or 'CutePDF Writer' --- or using any good illustration programs like 'Adobe Illustrator" or 'CorelDraw!', and I have also successfully tested even Acrobat Reader X (10) for poster printing capability.


    Have thoroughly enjoyed the past week working out the details for sectioning the velomobile shell and compiling the information, which is represented in the files listed below.
    (I was unable to upload a PDF file format to the forum site, so please let me know if you are interested in copies of the files and I can email them to you.)

    SunRider_INFO-Photos_120427.pdf
    SunRider_Profile_8thScale_120428.pdf
    SunRider_Profile_FullScale_120428.pdf
    SunRider_Sections_120427.pdf


    In addition, I had previously made a scaled profile vector drawing of the Warrior Trike, for creating a Coroplast shell, and used this layout to determine if there were any fit or clearance issues with the 3D model shell. On preliminary review and placing the two front wheels centered in the shell wheel wells, it appears that there are some issues that might need to be addressed.


    One is the rear wheel being further forward than the Sunrider version, which might effect cargo carrying capability in the rear.

    Another is with a 30" track width on the Warrior Trike and 28" overall width on the shell, and depending on the tire width, they might stick out by about 2" on both sides of the shell.

    The only other consideration is the steering, which in the original Sunrider is accomplish with a stick tiller on both sides. However, the Warrior Trike uses USS where the wheel wells and bottom of the shell could interfere with that steering arrangement. The steering assembly is probably the area needing the most attention and/or modification.

    Other than these issues of concern and possibly making some changes to both, looks like combining the two might work! A example of a compiled image is provided below.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SunRider_Profile_120428_sm.jpg 
Views:	2063 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	4237

    If you request copies of the PDF files, please let me know what you think of the information provided. Most important, if it is of any value in building a velomobile shell and if there are any questions, or require additional information and/or other sections to assist or clarify construction. Thanks.


    Neil



    Some additional information below and file updates that might be helpful.

    Based on the layout on a 4' x 8' sheet for creating a solid plug, currently the best nesting combination I could get was 9 sheets. Below is an example of one of the sheet nesting layouts.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SunRider_Sections_NESTED_120505_04_sm.jpg 
Views:	939 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	4245

    I will also include a new center profile section file, which can be used with Rick Wianecki shell forming technique (link below), and a revised section file, which places the "Section_number" inside the pattern for reference after cutting.

    All the new and revised files will be included upon request and since unable to upload PDF file formats to the forum, they will be sent to a provided email address.

    http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/wian...le/default.htm

    The shell forming technique that Rick Wianecki uses might reduce the sheet quantity and material waste by eliminating similar sections. However, there might be other construction challenges involved.

    Which shell construction technique used I believe will be determined mainly by personal preference, based on skill level, energy required or ease of construction, and especially, material costs.

    Please let me know if there any other questions related to the section plans.

    I look forward to seeing photos posted on the forum or emailed of your completed 'Allrider' shell!

    Have a great weekend!

    Neil

  7. #7

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    OH MY STARS! ALL OF THAT WORK AND EXPENSE!
    i didnt know the level of work and money involved. you could spend years on a project like that and never get finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrbiers View Post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ocala Fl. U.S.A.
    Posts
    284

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    So that is why some of these cost so much. Always wondered about that. Now someone that we have not heard from in a while, namely Peter T from down under. Could give these guys a run for their money, as I remember he has been working on a fast recumbent quad for about two and a half years or so now.
    HPVTraveler
    (http://www.apocalypticwheelz.blogspot.com)
    Happy Trails Everyone

  9. #9

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    Well at least this is a way to get a velo. I can't see ever shelling out $8,000 for a Quest or equivalent. But in this way you can spread the cost out. And I won't even get close to $8,000. Rick emailed me and said he had about $100 in his foam. I would be rather surprised if he had more than 3 or 4 thousand in his completed velo. Of course if you use your hobby time to make money you should factor your time in. But if you would otherwise be sitting on the couch than I don't know if you should...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Bay, Ontario
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    So...do you cut out all of the various pieces of foam and then glue them together to form a solid mold form to lay your fiberglass onto? Or do you notch out the pieces to fit together like that skeleton that the guy Rick did in the link? Kinda confuddled about it all...lol

  11. #11

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    Quote Originally Posted by Evox_Rider View Post
    So...do you cut out all of the various pieces of foam and then glue them together to form a solid mold form to lay your fiberglass onto? Or do you notch out the pieces to fit together like that skeleton that the guy Rick did in the link? Kinda confuddled about it all...lol

    Originally, I believed that there was a possibility that both construction methods would work. However, after reviewing the 3D model for an entirely different construction process, I realized that the shell design is probably overly complex --- especially around the cockpit opening --- for the Rick Wianecki method. So I recommend just doing a solid plug.

    Please forgive the confusion, I have a tendency to like having multiple options!

    Neil

  12. #12

    Default

    In ricks method you have a half inch layer of foam in your velo. May help with strength and insulation. What do you think?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Edgewood, Texas
    Posts
    995

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    Inside of a velo can be very loud. Insulation will help deaden the interior sound. OF course, if your head out on a velo it may not matter much.
    I wear a tinfoil cap when going outside to keep the aliens from sucking the knowledge from my brain.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mena Arkansas
    Posts
    135
    Images
    10

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    You can extend the over all length of your trike by 3 to 4 feet when adding a aerodynamic sell to it. So for me the biggest issue with making a velomobile is the trike on the inside.
    For me I want a practical velo. It needs to be a tandem. It needs to have a little room inside to put some stuff. Most of the velomobiles on the web are just enough room for a rider. Maybe a bag of chips and a water. I looked at the viking and built one first. It was 12 ft long or so.To put on a shell that was aerodynamic I would have added another 4 ft. That doesn't give me any room for any storage. I was going to add a small trunk but It would have been about 18 ft with a tiny trunk space. It was really heavy. so I scrapped it. and started to build a smaller trike to work out some of the bugs that affect me.
    I built my first one with 1 inch pink insulation wrapped in fiberglass. I was blown away by the amount of resin it needed to cover the body. If I used a little the fiberglass was too thin but light weight. If i bumped it into the wall or a pole the fiberglass would break crack or make a hole. If I put more resin on it it could withstand a the bumps into walls and stuff but it was so heavy. Heavier per sq ft than thin sheet metal. It was really quiet inside.
    The next one I make i used 1\2 inch insulation that didn't help the weight. It was a lot easier to mold and shape.

    The biggest problem I have found is that if I use sheet metal It is harder to shape and heavy. I want a tandem with storage, and a motor. With the weight of the shell and the batteries motor and controller the wheels cant handle the stress. I have folded over several wheel ideas.
    I want to use a Kyoto as a trike. I will set the seats more upright. and put the space into the storage area. I used a trailer to hall my batteries and taking stress off the main wheels. That worked good but if I pull a trailer with batteries I am extending the overall length. I thought I would design it kind of like the twike.
    I have been working on an idea of using aluminium and cutting the weight in half on the shell
    Oh... You didn't build it, you just bought it.
    well I built mine, all of it.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    sounds like you need to look at quads instead of trikes
    can anyone post a link to that dude with the white hair who makes vehicle for the burning man festivals? oh yeah, this dude
    http://youtu.be/RferXHcG7x8

  16. #16
    thijsvk Guest

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad7 View Post
    ... For me I want a practical velo. It needs to be a tandem. It needs to have a little room inside to put some stuff. Most of the velomobiles on the web are just enough room for a rider...
    You should have a look at the DuoQuest.
    There's only one in the world as far as I know.
    It is a tandem but side by side. Basically they guys at veomobiel.nl bolted two Quests together, cut a shell in half and added a sheet in the middle to join the halves.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	velo13.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	5252

  17. #17

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad7 View Post
    Most of the velomobiles on the web are just enough room for a rider. Maybe a bag of chips and a water.
    Your comment is not correct. I've seen videos of velomobile people coming home from the grocery store. One video shows the owner hauling 3-5 bags of grocerys. In 2011, the ROAM riders were unsupported riding across the USA. They carried all their luggage, equivalent to 3-4 Panniers. I think you are underestimating the capacity of a modern Velomobile.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    you are talking about a tadpole velomobile? do you have a link? i didnt really come up with much goggling. i want to see these velomobiles that haul 5 bags of groceries. thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by glidergider View Post
    Your comment is not correct. I've seen videos of velomobile people coming home from the grocery store. One video shows the owner hauling 3-5 bags of grocerys. In 2011, the ROAM riders were unsupported riding across the USA. They carried all their luggage, equivalent to 3-4 Panniers. I think you are underestimating the capacity of a modern Velomobile.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    Quote Originally Posted by socialtalker View Post
    you are talking about a tadpole velomobile? do you have a link? i didnt really come up with much goggling. i want to see these velomobiles that haul 5 bags of groceries. thanks

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Upper Hutt Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    259

    Default Re: Allrider - Velomobile Shell Sections

    Quote Originally Posted by socialtalker View Post
    You are talking about a tadpole velomobile? do you have a link? I didnt really come up with much Googling. I want to see these velomobiles that haul 5 bags of groceries. thanks
    On the day I finished assembling my velomobile it went straight into service, carrying a vacuum cleaner and some other gear to clean out an apartment:



    The seat tilts forward and the space behind it will take 2-3 grocery bags. There is space on the floor around and under the seat for another 2 bags of stuff (best packed loose). I have also been away on a 3-4 day trip and carried everything I needed.

    One of the things I like about the velo is that it's faster than a road racing bike, but also PRACTICAL - I can run away from the roadies on the commute home and then stop at the supermarket for a dozen items.

    Neville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •