Lathe Boy Strikes again :-)

The requirement for M10 threaded nuts with 19mm AF instead of 17mm as standard means you have to make your own.

Its just some 19mm Hex-bar and 4 or 5 hours of messing about (aka "FUN") on a mini-lathe. :)
While it was perishing cold in my little workshop I enjoyed making these as it is something that I have never done before.
Sequence was:
  1. Swap out the 4-jaw chuck for the 3-jaw chuck.
  2. Cut Hex bar into 4 smaller manageable lengths.
  3. Progressively drill each piece 4mm, then 6mm, then 8.5mm.
  4. Start an M10 thread in each piece and finish by hand with a tap-wrench (too grunty for a little mini-lathe to do).
  5. Cut the tapped sections into 2 or 3 pieces that are just over the size (height) of standard M12 nuts with an angle-grinder (mini-lathes do not like parting-off operations). :(
  6. Mount each piece into the chuck and face off and chamfer each end and chamfer the threaded holes.
I have never done this before, but they came out pretty good and they fit very well onto M10 stud (even though I say so myself). :D

Last edited:
You can buy M10 with 19mm. I know it's not as satisfying as making them.
Now he tells us DOH

The request was from me as the elastomers for my tilting are M10 however the rod end bearings for the Python pivot are M12
I only wanted to carry 1 set of spanners , and there is a chance the elastomer bolts could loosen as there are no lock nuts used.

My child labour boy did good :LOL:

Paul

Thank you all for your observations and inputs. :)
My original suggestion was to chop 2 spanners (19 & 17mm and weld 2 halves together, but the customer baulked at the destruction of 2 perfectly good spanners.
I did point out that he would still have 2 perfectly good spanners just in different formats, but he insisted. ;).

Last edited:
The truth is more mundane ....

I have a cut down set of 19mm spanners , I did not also want to carry a set of cut down 17mm spanners.

Now in all honesty I could buy a set of elastomers with M12 studs ?

However have invested nearly £100 in a AZ'ers bumper collection of elastomers I am reluctant to buy anymore :whistle:

Paul

Well it's a good job I have managed to "tweak" your nuts then. ;)

Never felt a thing nurse.....

Just to close this off...
4 additional replacement stand-off spacers were completed today for our northern client with the plethora of SA Drum-Brake in his possession....bringing the total of stand-off spacers to 6.
In the picture below you can see the SA Hub variant for which these parts were made, one of them inserted into the hub; 4 additional pieces with the original SA supplied spacer that is too short to allow easy brake cable application. Nothing fancy or complex at all just 20mm round bar bored out for M12 bolt and turned down at one end by 10 thou' to fit into the SA backplate. All squared up and true of course.
Amazingly (really!) I was able to part all 4 parts off the single bar one after another instead of cutting them free with a grinder and re-facing the cut end. :D