Nothing to lose really.

A bit more done today, this time with manufactured spacers for the 90mm drum hubs.
First one isn't quite right, so the next one will have a dimension change, or I can use spacer shims.

... one for the metal-bashers amongst us.
I used to be fearful of bending thick-walled steel tube before our late friend John Price made me a tube bender with a 10-ton bottle-jack.
As you can see..... I now bend tubes with IMPUNITY.

Here's a finished 25x2mm tube. I learned that ideally you should make these things in 2 halves, internally sleeve them and then join them together.
The 90° bend consumes 7 & 1/2" of tubing and you cannot produce a "U" with a short base section.

Finished bending all the tubing up for the rear axle(s) cage framing.
I bent them as close to 90° as I could.
The plan is to make 3 "U" shaped bridges to span around the 2WD unit and brace the two halves to keep them in alignment.

Bender cleaned & oiled and put away again.

Dan

I though there was to be a bigger diameter tube for the axle to main boom and only 2 smaller tubes to keep it all together ?

More like this with one further tube ?

Paul

Dan

I though there was to be a bigger diameter tube for the axle to main boom and only 2 smaller tubes to keep it all together ?

More like this with one further tube ?

Paul
Yes, maybe just like that, but minus the toe-in/out adjusters. Others I have seen have a 2 or 3-way cage.

Well today went very badly. :(
Ruined one piece of my bent 25mm steel trying to get the profiles cut to meet a 32mm tube at 45° - start again with piece 2.
I got the electric hot-metal glue gun all fired up and my tungsten went up like a sparkler - No Gas! Strange because it was a 2/3 full tank when I last used it.
I put my standby 10L bottle on checked decent gas flow, sparked it up.....and couldn't see a darned thing - batteries flat in the mask.
Put new batteries in the mask, still couldn't see well enough in the poor lighting.
Gave up and came indoors. :mad:

Dan

Wow a catalogue of woe , I assumed you turned to the bottle once indoors ?

I though you had a mask mounted light for welding ?

Paul

Dan

Wow a catalogue of woe , I assumed you turned to the bottle once indoors ?

I though you had a mask mounted light for welding ?

Paul
Yes, indeed. Mask light was deployed but still not enough background illumination.
Off to get a new 20L refill today. :)

Gas refill and more tungsten's acquired.

Well, its on there. I didn't like the weld appearance so flap-disked the lumpiness out of them.
More to do, but I was aching a bit so packed it in.

OK, it has been a while but both of the braces are now on.
The braces are at about 120° to each other so I hope they will hold the inside ends of the axle-tubes in reasonable alignment.
Next step is to attach outboard framework that hold the outboard ends in place to a frame. A decision need to be made as to whether suspension is to be a feature or not.
The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that this cage framework is NOT central. This is purposeful as an IGH LH side aligned output will provide the INPUT to the 2WD unit.

Next step is to attach outboard framework that hold the outboard ends in place to a frame. A decision need to be made as to whether suspension is to be a feature or not.
A problem ?
Yes I keep finding pictures like this :-

Paul

My friend in the North snagged me a working Sturmey Archer XRF8-W hub at a cycle-jumble. :)
It was missing a few bits (changer, axle anti-turn lock-washers, dome nuts and needed a different sprocket), but its was otherwise in great condition. Thanks Paul!
Here it is cabled up and working. It may become the IGH for the current project.

Thank you paul.

DannyC

Jokingly I said to Dan if I see a SA 8 speed should I buy it ? and low and behold there was one !

It had a label on saying brought in as noisy and hard to shift , they could not find anything wrong with it however had no bike to put it in so 'sold as seen ' , I assume the original bike either got another fitted or was converted to derailleur .

Glad you got it working , and such a simple fix.

All we need now is something to bolt it to :D(y)

Paul

All we need now is something to bolt it to :D(y)
The "something to bolt it to" is an ongoing Umm-ing and Ahh-ing process while I shuffle from foot to foot and suck my teeth. ;)

I do have a stub of a previous project that "could" be pressed into service as a host for this 2WD axle malarkey. It is a suspension capable component.
I would need to work out "How" it might be pressed into service along with the IGH mid-drive.
I may be being a bit ambitious but perhaps it could (like me) be the rear end of a pantomime horse with different front ends bolted/clipped on.
I am still mulling all of this over. :)

The "something to bolt it to" is an ongoing Umm-ing and Ahh-ing process while I shuffle from foot to foot and suck my teeth. ;)
You do that verbally I abuse soft woods and deploy hundreds of screws and brackets .....

I may be being a bit ambitious but perhaps it could (like me) be the rear end of a pantomime horse
You heard it hear folks , Dans the a**e end of a horse .....

Paul

Started on the backplate fixing tabs today.
I cut some 3mm plates and tacked them together at the corners. I marked the centre hole for them to slip over the axle-tube.
I checked that they fitted snugly over the axle-tube.
I will shape and trim them to look smart.
A stub of 12mm bar will be tapped with M6 thread to hold a bolt to secure the backplate from turning.

That's a big hole you drilled there mister ?

is that the direction you expect the cable to come from ? sort of above and pointing downwards ?

Paul