Posting Photos

Ok, need some assistance.

I stumbled through getting photos into the gallery, Scraped knees and all.

I posted one practice photo into my 'A New Shed, for Ed' thread, but used 'the unreliable', Postimage.org to do it.

If I understand, we are now able to store images on this new server. Correct?
Question : If so, does that mean we are able to place photos, directly into our threads , using the 'insert image' icon?

If that is so, I need a bit of help.
It asks for the http//, but I don't know how to get that from my photos on my computer. :unsure:
If I'm posting from a third party, like Postimage.org, I know what and how to work that. But for my own images...not so much.

Am I using the wrong procedure/method?

Last edited:

SirJoey

Super Moderator
I was wondering these same things, Ed. My GUESS (although untested), would be to upload your pics into an album on here, then click on the pic U want to post in a thread, & copy the URL there. Just my GUESS. Someone please correct me if this is not the way to do it. Thanx!

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Okay, I just now tried it, & nope, no such luck. It said "Something went wrong, contact the admin".

I was wondering these same things, Ed. My GUESS (although untested), would be to upload your pics into an album on here, then click on the pic U want to post in a thread, & copy the URL there. Just my GUESS. Someone please correct me if this is not the way to do it. Thanx!
Posted your photo into a thread.

1st, I located the photo.
2nd I right clicked on it,
3rd I copied the 'image address'.
4th I posted that image address, into the thread.
5th Then as Brad taught us, changed the ( URL ) to ( IMG ) and voila', the image appeared.

However that seems like extra work, but its in there.
Not only is that extra work, (correct me if I'm wrong here), but that will clutter the gallery with (working photos).
Photos that need only be shown in each applicable thread.

AND YES !!!
I'm still 'burned' :mad: about loosing all the photos in our threads, from the postimage.org failure.
Thus making those threads virtually useless.
Not sure if we can trust any storage location at this time.

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Unless something is broken, you can upload your photos directly to the AZ gallery. I am biting the bullet and hosting them here.

As for the forum, I disabled photo uploading, as that is what really killed the other one for speed.

Yes, please do not clutter the gallery with non-projects.
For random posting of images here, it is the same as before... find a free host like flickr or pinterest and just link.
My hosting is at 70% here now, so I need to keep it under control.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
Brad

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Just to clarify...

Albums and photos posted "here" are part of the "DIY Builder's Gallery", and are hosted here.
You can create as many albums as you want. One per bike with many different photos would be great.

Photos linked to threads in the forum are not hosted here.
There is just no way I can afford that. No way at all!
To make this forum faster, I am using VPS hosting, and it is already 75% full.
I am expecting to double the hosting cost very soon.
The old site ran way out of control, which is why I did this recent upgrade and host move.

There are probably hundreds of places to dump photos to link here, but yes, all of them do what they want.
We have seen it several times, where they just go out of business or try to extort money after years.
Not much I can do to help with that one!

When I have time, I could do another "how to" showing how to register for a free site like flickr or facebook and link to images here.
This will have to wait for a while though, I am still doing a lot of work on both this forum and the main site to get it up to modern standards.

You really can just link to any photo and video from any of those sites here.
Just press "Insert Link" above, and paste. Done.
Here is a video I made for my day job, linked right from my personal Youtube channel...

Yeah, that's old old AZ welding shack, and shot of my redneck backyard!

* UPDATE *

I see what you mean though about "Insert Image" not working!
I have always used "Insert Link". Perhaps the icon needs to be removed.
I am going to look into this.
Will report back here when I fix it.

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Ok, adding photos inline here is DEFINITELY BROKEN!
I also get the "Contact Admin" message!

Maybe there is a more knowledgeable admin I don't know about here, cuz I can't figure out whats wrong.... doh!

Anyhow, hold on until I sort this out.

For now, you can certainly post images to the Gallery, but this is really for builds and not everyday random stuff.

Thanks,
Brad

Ok, this is my Test User to see what is going on with posting images here.
Please hold on while I do some testing in this thread.
I will report back when I have this working with instructions on linking from a free image site.

Still getting the ... "something went wrong message".
.... computers, always making our lives so much better.

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Test of posting an image using the "Insert Image" button above...

Image is taken from my FaceBook page by right clicking to copy the link.

Not sure what I did to fix this, but it works now, so that's good enough for me!

Brad

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Ok, it looks like the linking of images is working again thanks the the efforts as the nerd known as "Test User".
Not sure what that insane coyote did, but it is working, and that is good enough for me!

To post images (from any external site), just find the image, right click it and select "copy image location" or whatever your browser calls it.

Now you can click the "Insert Image" button here (photo icon) and past that link.
Here is a photo from my old LucidScience site...

Sorry for the glitch, I didn't realize how broken it was since it let me post Youtube media for some reason.

Flickr, FaceBook, YouTube, Pinterest... all good places to store your random photos and videos.
But like any of these free services... back up your stuff! They come and go without warning.

Cheers,
Brad

Great Brad !

Does your "Test User' know how to get my Tab 2, to respond to me? (touch screen?)
Maybe it was something I said :unsure:

My Tab 2 wouldn't charge so I ............

Changed the 'cord', ..................nope not that. (It was frayed)
Changed the 'battery', ..............nope, not that. (now have a backup battery)
Changed the 'charger', ........... (Yup, that worked....BUT NOW!)

Now we... (my tablet and I), have lost touch with each other 😭

See where this is going grrrrr !:mad:

I have it opened again, checking for lose connections. Doesn't seem to be any.

Not to worry though, its only my primary device for 'monitoring' all things AZ..
I think my next stop is my local IT shop.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
This will will sound funny considering I design electronic devices and write computer code for a living at my day job...

I can't stand phones / tablets, and will never understand why anyone would ever connect one to the internet.
Once I tried browsing on an iphone... once. I don't get it, and don't get texting either.
My phone remains powered off until I feel the need to make a call. Then it is shut off.
If I didn't have an hour daily commute through the great white north country, I would never own a phone, actually.

So... nope, can't give you any help there!
The day I can't use the net on a 24 inch monitor with a full size keyboard is they day I stop using the internet!

I do wish all you tiny screeners the best of luck though!
Tapping away on quirky virtual keyboard on a screen the size of a credit card... not for me!

Brad

I am With you Brad on the use of cell phones, the only use I have for having one is to make phone calls or text to persons too busy to talk. Also with changing living locations have the same phone number for work related business or others. NO!!! internet usage. Thank you for reading. Til later

SirJoey

Super Moderator
I can't stand phones / tablets, and will never understand why anyone would ever connect one to the internet.
Once I tried browsing on an iphone... once. I don't get it, and don't get texting either.
My phone remains powered off until I feel the need to make a call. Then it is shut off.

The day I can't use the net on a 24 inch monitor with a full size keyboard is they day I stop using the internet!

Tapping away on quirky virtual keyboard on a screen the size of a credit card... not for me!
ALL of these are my sentiments EXACTLY! Well, except for the 24" monitor.
WISH I could go that route, but in the meantime, I'll settle for my 15 1/2" laptop screen! :)

Wow ! Struck a nerve did I ?😬

OK, I want my turn.

My 2 " phone is only there for emergency use mainly..rarely used. (no smart phone, no mega data contract, no waste of $$$ ... $5 a month phone bill)
Did I mention a dislike for texting?

My 10 " Tablet, sits by my evening chair, for browsing, Used every a.m. to check in on AZ. (Except now its broken)
My 15.5 " Laptop, is used mainly on our trips away from home, otherwise it sits and gathers dust.

And now the work horse of the group, this 19 " PC. ( not practical to take on trips)
This is where I do all my important matters...like posting to AZ, paying bills, writing newsletters, etc.

As one might see, each type has its use.

So what ever size, yours is, use it responsibly.😀

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Great Brad !

Does your "Test User' know how to get my Tab 2, to respond to me? (touch screen?)
Maybe it was something I said :unsure:

My Tab 2 wouldn't charge so I ............

Changed the 'cord', ..................nope not that. (It was frayed)
Changed the 'battery', ..............nope, not that. (now have a backup battery)
Changed the 'charger', ........... (Yup, that worked....BUT NOW!)

Now we... (my tablet and I), have lost touch with each other 😭

See where this is going grrrrr !:mad:

I have it opened again, checking for lose connections. Doesn't seem to be any.

Not to worry though, its only my primary device for 'monitoring' all things AZ..
I think my next stop is my local IT shop.
I am assuming that your phone is USB chargeable.

There are only a few reasons for it not charging. Some can be discounted if it otherwise runs from the charging cable - if it is supposed to. No source of power, defective cable (all USB cables are not the same and electrical connections deteriorate with age), defective connection at the tablet/phone, defective battery.

I don't know how much of this applies to an iPhone as I use an Android - and generally agree with Brad's comments. I think the main problem is that not everyone uses such things the same way and, it is thoroughly perplexing as to how, in these days of so much communication freedom and choices, it is so difficult to contact people.

Cured the 'not charging' problem, with a new charger.

I know it went through some major surgery, 'new cord', new battery, new charger.
But it still seems to be under anesthesia. I'm just waiting for it to wake up, and recognize me.

Its an Android driven Samsung Tablet.
No it is not USB chargeable.

Your Question
" it is thoroughly perplexing as to how, in these days of so much communication freedom and choices, it is so difficult to contact people."
Answer
They just don't want to.😈
For me personally. I've always held the thought, that if one isn't answered, in a courteous time frame,
then one may not be, near the top of the pecking order, if you get my meaning..