Ed's 'StreetRunner' Quad Build

It looks really good Ed'. :D

Getting to warm to work outside, so put the StreetRunner back in the barn

I had problems with the drivers side tubing, this morning.
During the night 'it shrunk'

Can't figure what happened, but I spent a good portion of the morning, re-bending,
and tweaking that same tube, and it still ended up, about a quarter inch short. ??? :unsure:

It sure looked good yesterday.

Anyway, I got it back to where it looked correct.
Quickly tack welded it. It shouldn't shrink anymore.

I had marked a measured check point, 24" back from the front,
as a base line to measure the gap, between the tubes.

Final result. even after this mornings incident.

Left side tolerance.......3.081

Right side tolerance ...3.059

A difference of .022. Not too shabby for hand forming.
Not a difference that will be seen by the undressed eye.

Last edited:
Work on the StreetRunner has taken a slight back seat to real world issues.

A lot of my time was taken up planning and building the Halloween party, doing daily leaf clean up,
and other home maintenance issues, requiring my attention.

Actually, it has also given me time to think about, what I will use for power.
Just in case you may not have read my request for opinions (In Electric Motors thread) about a possible purchase of a complete power system, here is a link, starting at post# 11. https://atomiczombie.com/forum/threads/electric-motors.181/#post-4126

This is what I'm now considering

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-Brushless-48v-1800w-Electric-Motor-Speed-Controller-for-Go-Kart-Drift-Trike/303293310776?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=40719&meid=0ba6256e84da48da8f710b0cac02734a&pid=100677&rk=2&rkt=30&sd=133072635309&itm=303293310776&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2386202&_trksid=p2386202.c100677.m4598

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I see it is 48V and comes with 4 x 12V, 12AH batteries. That means series connection for 48V, and 12AH capacity. 1800W is a lot and is 7.2 times more than 250W. For something of a comparison for what it is worth, the 250W Bafang is rated for 39km (from memory) with a 15AH battery and that depends on how much you are using it during a trip. I regularly do much more than that. I hope that your drive train is strong. The price seems ridiculously cheap.

I note you mentioned occasional use elsewhere and it might pay to stick close to home until you get used to how far you can go and still be able to make it back home. It might be heavy to push.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
With lead acid batteries a 12ah battery will only supply 7.5 ah at the 1 hour rate 12amps and that is only producing 600watt ,

You will need better batteries than Lead acids. By my calculations you might get 10 minutes at full power . Good luck .

With lead acid batteries a 12ah battery will only supply 7.5 ah at the 1 hour rate 12amps and that is only producing 600watt ,

You will need better batteries than Lead acids. By my calculations you might get 10 minutes at full power . Good luck .
Thanks Emma

Is your reference, to the 4 batteries in the link I provided?

I'm afraid I haven't lurnt enuff about batteries yet.
I can't tell 'yet', one type from another in most cases.

I do want quality, but only what's really needed, to the extent, of how this build will be used.

Never mind I looked them up.

Last edited:
While I'm still trying to wrap my head around what power components to settle on,
I started making new templates for the final body panels. (I must ask Santa for some more magnets)

I visited my local metal supplier, to get a 4 x 8 x 20 gauge sheet metal.
I couldn't have picked a worse day for getting a sheet of metal.
When I left my house, it was calm with just a hint of warm breeze. Quite nice really.

My supplier is all of six miles away, but in that short distance and time, the winds kicked up considerable.
Here is a short burst of whats happening as I type.
The wind lifted the spa cover open.
That makes the 3 rd canopy gone. AND we don't even use the spa.

Had to leave the sheet metal on the truck, as it's to windy to try and off load.
I had to strap the 2 x 6's on top, to keep the wind from blowing the end up, and bending it.

Last edited:
Bonus Purchase ?

Had a couple of appointments yesterday, plus prepping for today's major storm.
Rain most of the day today, which has already started, and supposedly our first snow, maybe tomorrow or into Friday.

But I did find time to get my sheet metal off my truck, and into the shop.
It got damaged either before it was loaded on to my truck, or on the way home from the high winds.
Nothing major, but will want to work around the couple of slight dents, if I can't get them out. Or it will mean body filler.

Bonus

I asked for a 4 x 8 sheet. Look closely at the photo, and you may notice that it looks a bit long.... It is.
It's actually 10 feet. A bonus of 2 feet. I checked my receipt just to make sure I only paid for a 4 x 8, which I had.
Not sure if he wrote it down wrong, and it only comes in 4 x 10, (which I might have paid for), or I got a little bonus.

Anyway

I'm working on finalizing the shape for the first template. Don't want to waste time, effort, and material by getting it wrong.
This sheet has to work for all the panels, top and sides. If I do it right, I should have usable material left over.

My frame design had to change, in part, due to my frame 'faux pas'. So I have to move the 'forms' for attaching the panel.
Moved from 'A' underneath to 'B' on top. This side first, then copy for the other side.
My interior will have to conceal my mistake. But don't tell anyone.

Last edited:
More Curves - Less Nerves

Put the propane heater to work today, Got the shop warmed up enough to make it OK to work in.

Started to make new curved pieces for the right side. Tried to match what was on the left.
But, matching up the bent pieces, was more work than it needed to be.
So I abandoned that idea, and decided to make 4 new pieces.
I'm using 1" x 1/8" hot rolled, flat bar steel.

That decision, worked out much better. Bent four new pieces in less time than it took, trying to make pieces to match.

Pre-fit on the right side. I will cut/grind off the other side as soon as the weather allows.
It's still pretty cold, and wet. I need/want to take it outside to work on it, as there will be a lot of sparks generated.

These pieces start out at 8 1/2 inches long, which makes bending them, by hand, a little easier.
I still need to trim off about an inch from the top, before I weld them in place.
I also have to bend up a couple more, shorter ones, that will go about 10 inches to the front. (One each side)
Those two will only be about 4 inches. They are needed to help maintain the curvature of the sheet metal, along the side.

Last edited:
Hey ! Now !

A Bulldozer you say ? If I lived on the sixth floor, I be careful how I treated my friends...with bulldozers...:p

Besides, this project is not my fault. It isn't, It isn't. It's all Brads fault.
Here is what he say's, and I quote;

DIY Means Building Yourself a Better Life.
Unleash your creativity, and turn your drawing board ideas into reality. You don't need a fancy garage full of tools or an unlimited budget to build anything shown on our DIY site, you just need the desire to do it yourself. Take pride in your home built projects, and create something completely unique from nothing more than recycled parts.

So that's what I'm doing.

So after a bit of dozing, (zzzzzzzzzzz), I pushed the StreetRunner out into the air. No wind and cool but tolerable.
I was able to get the old form pieces cut off and ground smooth. It's now back in the barn.

Now it's time to help set up Christmas decorations.

Last edited:
Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I've always wondered how BULLDOZERS were built...
Now I know! :LOL:
I have a mental mage of a snail that has just been prodded on its extended eyeballs. Take no notice of them what don't understand, Ed. Keep on ploughing ahead, changing what don't work and only use it at night if you have to.

More power to you.

I have a mental mage of a snail that has just been prodded on its extended eyeballs. Take no notice of them what don't understand, Ed. Keep on ploughing ahead, changing what don't work and only use it at night if you have to.

More power to you.
Not to worry. Just a little bantering between friends.
One of the great things about this website, is that it is very well behaved.
There's a sense of humor (or 'humour' in some parts of the world) that rises frequently among us.

That being said, I'm working on plans for a plow ( plough ) blade attachment for the StreetRunner.

Maybe a high tech version like the example below.

Last edited:
Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
We actually have "humour" down here and I knew it was all in jest. You are right, a good environment on here.

There is a thread with weather comments elsewhere. Would you believe, on the first day of summer, there was a test cricket match in Adelaide, South Australia, a few hundred kms west of here. Temperature - 13.5C or 56.3F. Strange, seeing all states have now had bushfires, some 100s.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Yeah, Ed & I go back a long way. At least 7 years on here, maybe more!
Plus, we've had some correspondence outside of the usual forum channels.

It's NEVER my intent to make fun of, or ridicule anything anybody produces,
ESPECIALLY when their skills far surpass my own, as in Ed's case!
It's always intended to be in good-natured fun, as evidenced by this emoticon: :LOL:

Additionally, we're both YANKS, so there's that... 🤪

New Tool - Way Cool

Laying out the first template

First cut with my new HF Air nibbler.
I'm using a 20 gallon 175 psi compressor.
I can only get about one foot of cutting before the nibbler starts to slow down.
Then I wait a couple of minutes or so, for it to refill, and do another foot.

Still it's better than working with hand sheet metal cutters.