Flanges

Does anyone know where I can buy ready made axle flanges in the U.K.? the plans I bought said they are now available on the AZ website but I can’t find them. Alternatively 2.5 inch washers in 1/8 thickness would work also.

I was worried about obtaining those as well. Finally decided to give it a go and make them myself and it wasn,t as difficult as expected. Look in the DIY plan area, there is a listing in the header called Tutorials. Scroll down and at the bottom Brad included templates to make the flanges.

Does anyone know where I can buy ready made axle flanges in the U.K.?
Unlikely ?

the plans I bought said they are now available on the AZ website but I can’t find them.
About 10 years to late I am afraid .

What county are you in and what are you trying to build ? some of the plans also show a way of using and existing wheel that has a steel hub ?

I am in Devon, and have the plans for a warrior and Aurora, most likely going to go with the aurora first as it looks slightly simpler. I have considered getting a hole saw and cutting through sheet steel, but not sure if this would work.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Sheet steel will provide the means for flanges and any way of making a centre hole will do it. I have even used an arc welder on max to provide a starting point for big holes. Precision is very low and there is a lot of finessing with a half round file to bring it to a usable form but it works. As it may not be exactly in the centre of the disc, it might be best to do the hole first, get it finished, and draw the circumference of the disc around it.

There are ways and means for DIY.

I am in Devon, and have the plans for a warrior and Aurora,
Nice but to far to pop in and rummage through my scrap stuff ...

most likely going to go with the aurora first as it looks slightly simpler.
Yes any delta is simpler than a tadpole.

I have considered getting a hole saw and cutting through sheet steel, but not sure if this would work.
probably be blunt before you cut enough , a angle grinder as the tutorial is quicker and easier , when you have worn the cutting disc down just spanner on another [ nice and cheap ]

No lathe trike hubs

If you PM me your email I will send you the wheel building stuff from the earlier DeltaWolf plans [ only 4 pages but shows how to use commercial hubs for the same end ]

Warning , don't put a brake on either trike on the single wheel , ok for a parking brake do not ride on the road with this as your only brake.

What are your welding skills ?

I only seem to be able to find 3 mm sheet steel, will that be close enough to 1/8 inch?
Plenty assume 1/16" = 1.5mm 1/8" = 3mm 1/4" = 6mm etc close enough for rock and roll ...

My welding skills? Rusty to say the least! I haven’t done any for about 30 years, but I am hoping it will be like a bike, you never forget!! Only difference was I learned on an arc welder and now I am going to be using mig. I was never great at arc, but could get it to stick just not to look pretty, I am working on the basis of practice should improve me, not practice makes perfect. I have developed my wood working skills over the years all self taught, I see welding as a new area to develop.

Good you stand a fighting chance with a MIG and plenty of others on here use one successfully so plenty of advice.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Thanks for your support!

Yes, most just did them the way I did once I posted the tutorial!...

For those with a lathe...

Cheers,
Brad

When I made my flanges I first drew the washer in a cad program and printed it out.
I could then glue, used ordinary wood glue, the print onto a 3mm sheet,
makes it much easier to drill and shape the sheet round.

And this was the result