Matched mechanical callipers

If you want to use mechanical calipers but don't want a one up one down regarding the actuation arm and subsequent cable run on the front of your taddy or rear of your delta get a pair designed for a cheapo Chinese pit bike. £9 the pair and both arms either up or down.

They're cheaply made but no more so than most calipers found on donor bikes. The decent brand (Avid etc) mechanical calipers are better made but that's what you pay for. I've yet to find a premium matched pair - these are the only ones I've ever seen.

I found a couple of problem with a pair like that ?

Impossible to get replacement pads for them.

They do not use standard bicycle mountings

So when you wear out the pads you are stuffed
When you decided the performance is sadly lacking you can't bolt on a set of Avids you are stuffed

The Avids are popular and available world wide for a reason .....

I found a couple of problem with a pair like that ?

Impossible to get replacement pads for them.

They do not use standard bicycle mountings

So when you wear out the pads you are stuffed
When you decided the performance is sadly lacking you can't bolt on a set of Avids you are stuffed

The Avids are popular and available world wide for a reason .....

Pads

Even if you couldn't buy pads a pair of new calipers with new pads at £9 isn't excessive

You are right about the non-standard fitting and I ought to have mentioned that myself but you'll be making chassis mounts for any caliper so making them to fit these is no extra work. I accept that if you then wish to change you'll need to make adapters or make new chassis mounts. Avids are indeed popular as are diamond framed bikes but we don't use the latter much here. If we only used what was popular we'd be on a regular cycling forum.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Emma (Twinkle on 'ere) has been using pit bike calipers for donkeys years (well, since she was a nipper at least).

Fitting Avid's (or the like) in the same effective orientation is no big deal really; you just make a different mount as far as I know.
At least that's what was on the WD2 trike.

For me it was easy. I just placed all info in cad and made the mounts that way. As you keep everything symmetric, tgan you can just mirror the mount.

But with those, the wires go to the same direction.
I like it, but I want to know the quality. The price is low enough to try it one time. Can always design a mount that can be capable for mou ting those and the avids.

Even if you couldn't buy pads a pair of new calipers with new pads at £9 isn't excessive
In my defense I had them some time before I found a use for them , by then the pads were unobtanium 😥

You are right about the non-standard fitting and I ought to have mentioned that myself but you'll be making chassis mounts for any caliper so making them to fit these is no extra work. I accept that if you then wish to change you'll need to make adapters or make new chassis mounts. Avids are indeed popular as are diamond framed bikes but we don't use the latter much here. If we only used what was popular we'd be on a regular cycling forum.
just looks messy and ruins a good paint job ?

IIRC both different hole spacing AND different distance from rotor on the ones I had compared with the Avid that worked flawlessly from day one.

YMMV

They are used for scooters normally on 140mm brake disks.
That is why the mounting is different.
There is probably info about the mounting.

Still I will be curious on how good they are. The rotating part where the cable goes in, is one thing I don't like. As the cable is bent to much, that will rotate and rub a lot over the brake cable.

Perhaps I misunderstand you but the outer cable retainer is free to swivel which should automatically align it with the inner cable trap with modest tension.

Perhaps I misunderstand you but the outer cable retainer is free to swivel which should automatically align it with the inner cable trap with modest tension.
Well that is the goal, but I am afraid that as it stays stuck in an angle, that it will wear out the cable.

I looked ad the 2 versions you posted here. The first one I wouldn't buy even for testing.
The second one has more adjustment options.

The price is low enough and as I can find the mounting info, than can I change it to 160mm disks. Making brackets with 2 mounting options, isn't a problem. So I can always switch back to avids

They also seams to be better to mount. With that I mean that it will be able to be adjusted to the brake disk, just like the avids. The first one seems to have no option for that.

I wish that they had 3d models of it. Then I could put it in fusion an would I know, where the mounting holes need to be.
So much easier than doing it by hand.
I can always make a 3d model of it. The other one is just mirrored.

I received a couple of pairs of callipers today. The red ones are beautifully finished, one piece castings and have what appear to be semi-metallic pads as std. It's very hard to tell so I could be mistaken. The pads go in to magnetic retainers and are easily pulled out for inspection or replacement. There is provision for taking up the wear in the non driven pad. There is no rolling cable guide at the clamp arm. The black ones are not as well finished, though hardly terrible, have a two piece casting and take larger pads with a strong return spring. The callipers have to be taken down to remove the pads. This is a two bolt job. The std pads look like regular organic or resin ones. There is no provision for taking up wear on the non driven pad other than moving the calliper itself (not an onerous task - the two knurled screws). There is a rolling cable guide at the clamp arm. Both sets use the same non-bike std mountings.

Winner = Red ones IMO.

At some future point I may set up a test rig to compare these against an Avid for friction against a disc rotor. Shouldn't be too hard to cobble a rig up.

Last edited:
As I look ad them, then the black ones are also adjustable to the brake disk position with the 2 bolds on the sides.
The black ones seem to senter as you brake as I see the springs. Something that I don't like.

Can the red ones be adjusted as mutch as the bb7?

For what you say and what I can see on the photos, I would also go for the red ones.

I didn't found the mounting positions for those brakes, like I did for the bikes. But I think that there is some info, because they are standard for this small scooters.