How much would this ruin the tire?

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Impossible to guess. Looking at what appears to be an absence of calculated profiling of the timber roller, I would say that the degrading possibilities have not been addressed. The motor shaft, and the roller rotate at the same speed. The speed of the roller differs, depending on exactly where it contacts the roller. There obviously would be some discrepancy.

What would degrade more, the rubber tyre or the wooden roller? The tyre would just wear out but the wooden roller would head towards conforming to a more suitable profile - if it was soft enough. Would that happen before the tyre wore out?

There's a wear line already showing. I'd expect that the more power you want to put through it the more it needs to be forced into the tyre for grip deforming it more as it passes the drivers. I'd also expect rain to drastically reduce grip from previous reports of similar drive systems. It's a system that's been used before and I'm not aware of any that were notably commercially successful. The tyre tended to polish up and degrade the drive grip from what I remember. I think it was ultimately the lack of drive rather than tyre damage that was the Achilles heel of the system. Most of the ones I can recall were also low power yet still struggled with drive.

Why?
What's wrong with a mid-drive or a hub motor, both of these are proven and far superior to such a kludged contraption?

Cool~! DIY and inventing. Thats what were all about. A little tweaking a little closer to the tread area and it could get a few hundred miles out of a tire.
Hmmmmm...... Inventing?
It certainly qualifies as an inventive way to get an inferior result. But if it meets a budget limitation then why not?

This IS inventing....IMHO.

Hey look here: https://it.aliexpress.com/item/32908331527.html?
I had already seen many kits like that but this looks different in the way that the sprocket is fixed to the wheel. It would seem that the sprocket is held by these 2 black things (maybe made of some sort of foam?), with the spokes in between them. I had had the idea of doing something like this dyi but i thought it would not be good for the spokes.

edit: i was right: https://www.yalumotor.com/left-drive-e-bike-kit/electric-bicycle-motor-kit-my1016z2-ebike-left-side-flywheel-drive

Last edited: