Delta Wolf build - my chain broke! Twice.

Just finishing up my Delta Wolf trike. Just paint and detailing to be done. Decided i had better take it out for shake down run before disassembly to prime and paint the frame.
Good thing I did! It was ok on level ground, but when i tried to go up a very mild slope, I heard crunching noises from the drivetrain which got worse if i pedaled harder. Then the chain snapped!
I repaired the chain, took it out again and bang, it snapped in same conditions, heavy pedal load. I think i have all the gears set up right because they shift ok. Its only when pedaling very hard that it happened.
I ordered a brand new chain which came today....but i dont want to put it on only to find it might snap too? Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?
I`m really hoping its just the used bicycle chain i was using from old kids bikes i cut up t make the Delta.

Did you use chain that was all the same or did you mix single and multi-speed? Is there a seized link or two in the old chain?

Hi there

What do you mean by ' broke ' ?

Has a rivet come out ? most usual problem

did you put the rivet in yourself i.e joining chains etc ?

Or are you using quick links ?

Did a side plate break ? most unusual problem

Have a look at this :- Broken chain fix

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Must be just old chain. No configuration of pulleys or length of chain would weaken it. you could run a 200 foot chain across a dozen pulleys, and it would be as strong as any chain, so it must have had some defects.
Or you are one hell of a strong dude!

Brad