Going for my second build.

I can let my frame be powder coated for a nice price. It will be sanded and I can choose different colors for separate parts.
I am thinking to do multy collor. Steering from handle bars to where the wheels are mounted all black. Same with the luggage carriers.
Only I am thinking to make the front of the main frame, an other collor than the rear.
I only don't know what color or colors.
But I will soon go to the company that will do it and see what he can do.

As the temperature goes down, I will work again on the design. Double battery mount and removable luggage carrier.

I have changed my plans. Ad first I wanted to get all my parts in, but I am now going to finish my design. Contact the factory and see if all are back from holiday and ask for a price and on some things, what is possible and better.

Than as everything is OK, I have my parts next month and than I can start building.
I have some extra help this time. This helps me with the speed but also with some possibilities.
Steering will be added when I am building. I decided for this, because I am constantly changing it and also want to know the best position.

I found the info for mounting disk brakes. This helps a lot and I can now use that in my design.
Way easier than how I did it before.
Saves a lot of time.

For what I have now, I safed a lot of weight, compared to my previous build. Lower center of gravity, shorter wheel base and more pressure on the front wheels.
Also suspension added. So it's looking good.

I will contact the shop for the wheels tomorrow. Than they are ready for when I need them.

The rear wheel will be changed later, but I still don't know what I want. And with that I mean the speed. 8 or higher.
I am thinking to go to 44 in the front, instead of 42. Just to get a bit higher top speed. A wider range in the back must also help with climbing and as I just want to cruise around.
The base frame is now finalized, so that is why I will finish that and don't wait any longer.

I added the mounting points for the front disk brakes.

Left and right aren't the same, because I didn't go for a center placed wheel. It is a tiny bit to the front.
Made it, so there is an opening, where the mount, slides in. Than it is ad the right position and I only need to weld it.
I did this, so it is aot easier to make. Making the mounts the last time, wasn't that easy. I hot it, but I was looking where and how to mount it. This solved it.

Here are the dimensions for the mounting.

I used the first mounting. I have 2 of those mounts for my BB7 brakes.

Changed also the front mounting a bit and I can now mount my front wheels with a M12x1,75x75 bold.
As it bends, easy to replace and also easy to remove the wheels. More common and also easier to get and work on.

Added in the rear, the battery mounts. They will be narrower, but have it now, to see how it fits with the chain.

Ordered a 3 switch. This because I will mount 2 batteries and with the switch, I can turn one on or both off. This way I can switch from battery, without using connectors.

Hope to finish the steering today.
Than I can make the drawings and see if the person I need, is there.

Going to contact tomorrow the BMX shop, to make my wheels.

I am not making the rear. I have it already.
I only need to see if the mounting parts are still sold, or if I need to make it.

This is the rear.

It has mounting for a v brake and a disk brake.
I will not ad a v brake. I will probably use those mou ting holes for something else.

Doesn't change my remarks. And that's all they are, remarks. Not commands.
I understand it. I would also have closed it and made some other choices in the design.
I was working on my own design, till I hot this part.

I don't like how the mounting to the frame is. Contacting tomorrow a company for some parts for it. I hope that they have it.

That is why I went with this and stopped working on my own design.
It also fitted with the rest of the frame because of the square tubes.

Great CAD drawings Emiel. A V brake makes a good park brake for that rear wheel - and the mounts are already in place. A cable and an old friction lever and you are there.
I am still thinking of adding a v brake.
I was thinking to use a shock adjuster where you lock your rear shock with. It's similar to a shifter.
But I van ad it even as the bike is finished.

I have a question. How can I find my ackerman?
Is it from center front wheel to center rear wheel. Or from center rotation point to rear wheel center?

I find no real awnser on internet. One says center wheel, other center rotation point.

Here an image of ackerman how I dit it now, but I did it from center froth wheel to center rear wheel.

Last edited:
I was thinking that it was the center of the front wheels, but it is as on the drawing.
Checked it in the cad program and I will use that to find the right position.

A good point. I've always taken it from the point where the kingpin intersects the front axle to the centre of the rear axle. The actual length of the kingpin is of no importance to Ackerman angles but with an inclined kingpin, as we tend to use, it introduces a question of where along the kingpin do we start to measure from. The top or bottom of the actual kingpin is just an arbitrary place as we can make the kingpins any length we choose to no real effect (within reason) so the top or bottom of it is not the place to measure Ackerman. That only leaves it's intersection with the axle or intersection with the road as real points to measure from. If it's the road you'd never be able to have a steering link ahead of the axle as it's pivots would be outside the wheels (with centre point steering) yet such set-ups are common. That leaves the kingpin intersection with the wheel axle as the point to draw from towards the rear to get the Ackerman. At least that's my best understanding of matters.

It looks like that your way is working.
Center of the wheel isn't working and deciding an other spot is hard, but I think that what you do, the center of the axle crossing the center of the king pin is the right position.

The center of the wheel, made tgst the tires stayed almost parallel.

Some parts arrived today.
I hot my rear shock and myy 2 bb7 and 1 bb5 disk brakes.

The 2 mounts I still had from my bb5 sets that I used on my first build. Both bb7 brakes will get the 0mm mounts.

The bb5.

For the 2 batteries that I am going to make, I needed 2 boxes.
So I ordered 2 of such boxes. The smaller one tgan in the image.

Used ones, so a bit beaten up. But I can always sand them and paint them if needed.
But I prefer the used look.
I fix them on the bike and make that I can takeout the battery. It will get connectors on the box so I can charge them inside it, but also outside the box.

Start with one battery and use the other for storage. Later I will ad a second battery.
There will be enough space in it, to ad done tools in it and my spare tubes with the battery.

Wheels are ready.

Also hot my ammo boxes.
They are a bit rusty, but only slightly. So I will send them and paint them in the color of the frame or black.
They are even better than I expected. Not without some user tracks, but that is no problem.

Finish the mounting for that now I have the info and then I will make work drawings and send them out.
Want to have the steel and the laser cut parts by the end of the month or sooner.
My current trike got some more damage than I had noticed. I will fix it tomorrow, but the frame is slightly bend.
Fond a weak spot and that made that I will ad a few things to make my new frame a bit stronger.