200 Square Foot Portable Poultry Tractor!

Oh I just assumed id add wire for security. The panels were just the structure. I think at certain stages chickens could get through even hog panels

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
For sure, I should have clarified that. Yes, I can the chicken wire fence up the first 3 feet as shown here...

The panels they call "Cattle Panels" at out local supply had massive openings though, much more than what is shown above.
I was worried that chickens / turkeys might try to fly right out! This never happened with the Hog Panels and the chicken wire fencing.

Brad

This chicken tractor is amazing! Exactly what I've been searching for..... Unfortunately, I'm not good at building anything. However, I'd like to get the plan and have a local guy build it for me. Trying to figure out what the materials would cost. Anyone build this yet and have an estimate on materials (assuming most materials aside from the bicycle parts would be purchased new)? Your help would be so much appreciated. I've got a little homestead and do pasture rotation with my sheep and would like to easily rotate my chickens as well. This lightweight easy to move tractor is just what I've been looking for!

This is so great - I think my boss is going to let me build one (or a few) for the farm this winter. How many chickens do y'all have in the 200sq ft? or 300sq ft? If they move that easily, we can move them every day or two (we have the space), so it's really about chicken comfort. Thanks!!

Has anyone built this? The size pipe it says to use is like 35lbs for 9ft of pipe x 6 pipes, that seems pretty heavy. Am I looking at the wrong kind of pipe or is it really supposed to be that heavy??

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
How long are you planning to build? If you are going for the same as my design, that weight seems about right. The thinner wall tubing is about 25 pounds...

With the thinner tubing, I would keep the frame 8x12 at most though.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad, have you seen this one?
I wonder where he got the idea from?

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Looks well done! One thing about inventing... so many often have the same idea so I would never claim to be the first. I think the only original thing I have ever made was my SkyWalker Tallbike, everything else seems to have been done in the 1800s!

I do think there are too many chickens per square foot in that vid though.

Brad

I will never seek a patent on anything - that is a rich man's game only.
Anything I ever do will go straight into public domain for all to use!

Brad
What a BEAUTIFUL, loving attitude. This made my day.