2wd Delta

I decide to start a new thread since the Delta is basically all new. The frame is thin wall 1/16" inch and a half square tube. It will be fully enclosed, to that I just picked up 3 four foot by eight foot sheets of yellow coroplast. The frame is just the rear platform which holds the wheels and seat connected to the front boom which holds the crank and pedals and the front forks. Body work will be shaped by 1/2" electrical conduit. I have a conduit bender and it will enable some curves to the body. Just need to sand the zinc coating off before any joints are welded.

So far just the rear platform has been made and mounts for the rear wheels made. It has a direct drive motor right rear and that required mounts to be built for 2 torque arms. Also separate mounts for the rear disc brakes. I used to prefer cardboard for any bracket templates but on this build found a scrap piece of coroplast is way better. Its very easy to use a marker for the general shape then use scissors to finalize it. Any mounting holes such as for brake mounts can be made in the coro by a hole punch and the coro will then take a small bolt. Using this method.

So far the brackets to hold the rear wheels and the disc brakes have been fabbed up. Also the rear direct drive motor needs a torque mount on both sides and they have also been built. I will get a picture up in a couple days.

Hugh

Good man , the Delta's will take over the world .........

Paul

ps closet megalomania rules !

Heres a cpl pics of todays work. Brkts to hold the disc brakes, the wheels and on the motor side the torque brackets.

In the pictures they are just tacked, but now are welded and partially cleaned up

A bit more progress. First pic the frame is upside down, second it's sitting right side up and shows the seat mount, third with the seat mounted. Now working on the front fork/wheel setup.

Got the steering set up now. Next step will be to add the framework that will hold the coro panels. I decided to give it a 62 degree head angle for straight line stability

Hugh

There is quite a gap twixt pedals and front wheel , do you need that ?

being in the UK we have small houses.sheds & cars and need stuff as small as possible ;)

Look like your handle bars tilt forward is that for ingress ?

I always like this Finnish delta , he has more car like steering.

Sadly it would never get through the street obstacles I meet every ride.

he has car like steering to the fork hardware ?

Paul

You are right about the gap between the pedals and front wheel. I actually shortened the wheelbase by close to 9" from the previous version. I was aiming for an 8' overall length to make the best use of the coro sheets for the upcoming bodywork. The wheelbase and the slack steering head angle are meant to provide a nice stable ride. The bars are adjustable but its a set it and forget it system, they take 2 1/2" wrenches to adjust the angle. A friend made that for me when I tried Brads high racer plan and I keep recycling it. Things are a bit bigger here in Canada, we have a bit more room. A lot of my city rides are from 40 to 60 km.s long and the width of this build means it will fit pretty much everywhere. Thanks for the photo of the Finnish delta, always nice to see stuff like that.

Progress has been slow, I have 5 feet of snow in my yard and we are coming off a long period of minus 30C weather. Not conducive to heading out to the garage to build. But I have made a bit of progress regarding the framework to mount the body panels. I'm no longer going for fully enclosed, instead more of a pedal car type of look. And received in the mail the other day is a component that allows 2 batteries of the same voltage, they can be different Amp Hours but the voltage must be the same on each, to be connected to a motor. If I understand it correctly it automatically switches power from one to the other while being used. Anyway here's a picture of the so far completed bodywork.

Looks great! :)

Hugh

Nice

Paul

Wow! minus C temps along with snow and your still making progress. It looks good. Is your access (door?) going to be on the right?

Yes the access is on the right side. You can see the downward curved EMT. It is enough to provide easy getting in and out. I'll leave it like that and after using the trike for awhile make a decision on an actual door.

That is coming along nicely there Buddy! I can’t wait for all this snow to melt so we can get riding again!(y)

Welding is done. Only a couple small brackets left to install and they will be added after the wheels and drivetrain are installed in the frame. The frame has been painted. First picture the frame is upside down, you can see the jackshaft assembly. 2nd the frame is right side up on the stands so the top could get a 2nd coat. I'll give it a couple days for the paint to dry then flip the frame over and install the chain's, all 3 wheels and anything else I can think of while the frame is on the stands.

Hugh

Wow a lot of frame , however you ride in a LOT of weather so need that protection from the elements.

Paul

I know it's a lot of frame, the wife poked her head in the garage today for the first time in a long while. Her comment was it looks pretty big. Think of it as a LWB recumbent style somewhat inspired by the early cyclecars. I have now built 3 versions of coro enclosed bikes and the two main conclusions I came to were 1 - leave it open air convertible style so it doesn't get so freaking hot inside that it becomes uncomfortable and 2 - make it just roomy enough so that it doesn't feel like being stuffed in a sausage casing. It seems the time is right for such a trike what with fuel prices going through the roof lately plus e bikes and electric trikes, etc are showing up more and more. Size wise it is roughly 8' long and just under 36" at it's widest.