Another FWD Delta trike.

Today's fun-n-games was all about putting the suspension pivot on a section of 25 x 25 x 2mm walled tube so that it can be reattached in a position where it can move freely and provide the fold-up function too.

I really dislike fillet welds, but hey-ho, I did my best. The bearings have become "sacrificial bearings" now.

When it is cut to the profile shape and welded back onto the frame it will allow the swing arm to err... swing.

...and to fold under the frame for transport and storage.

Dan

Post #262 I assume you will have to move a shock mount as this has not given you the room for it as mounted now ?

Paul

Dan

Post #262 I assume you will have to move a shock mount as this has not given you the room for it as mounted now ?

Paul
Yes, and sadly I think there will be no "rear luggage space" as a result. :( Never mind.

Ok its welded up again. A right mess it is too. So bad that my camera refuses to take shots of it...sorry!
And although was jigged & clamped square it has come out crooked. 😱 How that works I do not know.
Thrown the thing in a corner and kicked it a few times, and it is getting no supper either.

Today's abuse of the metalworkers art involved the addition of some side-plates to the seat mount that I had hacked off the frame where it had been permanently welded on.
As a "rework" it looks less than pretty, but it will work ok. It is a tight fit, so I might need to flap-disc some metal off the inner faces or it will be likely to scrape the paint off the keel.
I used 3mm plate for the side-plates as I have found that lighter gauge metal just "bows" and distorts when a clamp bolt is applied.

Not sure whether to try and close off the open ends of the seat mount tube where I hacked it off the frame. I suppose I could wedge some strips of plate in there and just blow-over it with the torch of wonder.

Last edited:
Today's abuse of the metalworkers art involved the addition of some side-plates to the seat mount that I had hacked off the frame where it had been permanently welded on.
As a "rework" it looks less than pretty, but it will work ok. It is a tight fit, so I might need to flap-disc some metal off the inner faces or it will be likely to scrape the paint off the keel.
I used 3mm plate for the side-plates as I have found that lighter gauge metal just "bows" and distorts when a clamp bolt is applied.
I had lot's of trouble with the plates bending and gripping the keel , even @ 3mm.
The answer was to weld on one plate and give the other plate 2 horizontal bolts one through the upper welded on plate and one below the keel.
That way it was also easy to wrap some heavy duty polythylene around the keel and stop it sticking/rusting to it ?

Paul