Aurora delta update

It,s now been over 3 months since I,ve been riding my Aurora style delta trike here in Winnipeg. It,s had a few issues that have come up over time, although I,ve been able to correct each one either by modifying my riding or making small equipment changes. The Main challenge is the lack of ground clearance made more noticeable by it,s length. Not much can be done to correct that, you just have to be careful where you ride and avoid any "humps" on the trail. The routing of the return chain is ongoing to find the best path, still thinking about that one. I,ve been using industrial steel pulleys with a 5/8" bore to route the power side of the chain. The trike needs 2 of these to clear the seat brackets, steering etc. One possible solution to the power routing and at least the rear derailleur clearance might be the addition of a jackshaft located mid point on the frame and which allows moving the freewheel and derailleur closer to the left rear wheel. The trike has a Tongsheng mid drive motor and the cables for the display and brake cutouts were designed for a diamond frame so the only place to mount the display is on the frame just ahead of the seat between my legs. That means I can,t see it while riding which has actually been a blessing in disguise. I just ride it and don,t worry about speed, etc. Range is not an issue, with a 14.5 AH battery and using a lower power level, number 2 of 4, I have been able to ride 160 km,s - not all at once of course - without needing to recharge. Using the old mesh seat made for my Warrior has meant the ride is very comfortable and so far this summer I,ve put just under 900 km,s on the trike. One other issue is the rear storage box. Its size is great and it has a lot of red reflective tape on it but the lid is held closed by a couple pieces of velcro. The box base is plywood and the frame is alum angle enclosing red coroplast panels. The other day on a ride back from a local bike shop I hit a good bump at speed and my house/car keys and bike lock keys got bounced out of the storage box. Luckily a friend riding behind me noticed and recovered the keys. A 2" wide velcro strap has now been added to the lid. If further protection is required it will be done as well. Overall, riding the Aurora is great fun. The e assist is a torque sensing unit which retains that bicycle feeling, reactions from others on the road and bike paths has been 100% positive. Thanks Brad for a great design

Rear fenders were part of the learning experience as well. After I got a couple tire "burns" on my elbows they were deemed necessary. A front fender was added also the storage box lid after this photo was taken. The person in the background is the friend who recovered my keys the other day on a return from a LBS ride.. One comment heard often is How do you steer that ? People see the front wheel but rarely notice the linkage.

Hugh

Very nice and you are getting some use of it even better.

Some of the velomobile boys split the functions of the rear derailleur ?

So at the cassette they only had a single jockey wheel with the chain going the opposite way around it to normal - that did the gear changing function of the rear mech.
Then they had a single wheel and a spring else where in the return side of the rear run - that did the take up the slack function of the rear mech.

This would reduce the height of the rear derailleur by quite a bit at the point it is most vulnerable ?