bafang mid drive died in service

While out riding around town My mid drive motor went kaputt!
had to hobble it home.
Was hoping a battery connection=NO
No display
connected volt meter to battery wires=24 volts? should be 48 (I just charged the battery)
connected the wires from motor to the battery wires = 12v
suspect the controller went bad.
Ordered new one = $99
hopefully will cure the problem now that we have good weather
I might add, when I put it away come winter it had a good charge on the battery.
went to ride and battery was dead as I had on display. charged up battery and went riding then KAPUTT!

When mine "died" (the only time it ever did) it was a fault on the thumb throttle. The torrential rain I was riding in had made the resistance track inoperative and the display and everything was just dead.
1 hour later after covering the throttle and drying it out with just hand-heat, everything came back to life.

48V SHARK BATTERY PACK.
The throttle was dry as a bone. Was riding down a level road and it just died.

I could be very wrong (and I hope I am)... but I "thought" the controller is actually inside the Bafang motor body itself and all the external panel provides is a display head reflecting what is happening (speed, miles traveled and power setting). I was under the impression that, if the controller itself (inside the main casing) goes, the Bafang is shot. :eek:

I wanted to replace the motor but Luna cycle is out of stock. New motor=$365 new controller = $99
just hope this solves the problem
reading how to trouble shoot etc. it said the controller is usually what goes bad. new controller has an upgraded mosfets

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
You can have problems if the standard wheel sensor disconnects or otherwise doesn't want to work. If that happens, you will get an error. Assist will still be available but it will be what it was before the failure. No assist at the time = no assist after failure - until you fix it.

the display went off as well
Measured battery voltage after 24hours and only dropped .3 volts.
hopefully get the new controller this week.

The battery gives 24v? Or is it in the motor that gives now a lower voltage?

How long do you have the motor? Maybe the shop where you hot it, can help you by sending parts.

have had motor for about 4 years, only has 300 miles on it.
the battery fully charged shows 54 volts, 23 hours later it shows .3 volts less(53.7volts) battery is disconnected from motor.
while attempting to diagnose, I connected the battery and connected meter to connection junction (motor/battery)and meter drops to 12volts. Haven't turned anything ON.
This makes me think the controller is bad or the motor itself is bad.
Waiting for new controller, will install and hopefully all is good. Thinking of taking the side cover off to see windings but need to source a snap ring pliers

I think also that it is the controller.
Luckily you can replace it your self. That is shy I like the bafang and the Tsdz2 motors.
All parts can be replaced by yourself and are online available.

that was the first thing I checked.
I was hoping it was that simple and cheap.

Those controllers can run for years, but are often also the things that break with no reason. You can try to fix it, but then you need to know how they work and what to replace.
I don't know that, but some people do.

the controller is potted. Encased in epoxy so beyond repair. The new units have upgraded Mosfet transistors. Every thing I have read it mentions the controller goes bad is most likely issue.

the controller is potted. Encased in epoxy so beyond repair. The new units have upgraded Mosfet transistors. Every thing I have read it mentions the controller goes bad is most likely issue.
OK just as they do with the gazelle battery. I had to repair the connector and it is all molded in. They do everything to make it hard to repair it yourself.

update to dead trike
I instaslled a new controller and still nothing comes on or works.
checked battery voltage again after 1 week (had fully charged and disconnected, checked after 24 hours and still had charge)
battery now shows 26 volts but really basically dead (shorted wires and no spark)
I ordered a 2 new Lipo4 battery pack (one for the trike and one for the bucket of bolts.

So it was the battery.
But did you see it also on the display that the battery was low, or did that not work?

the display never came on. After I first charged the battery for first time this year the display came on.
NOTE the shark battery pack was about 6 years old and used almost every day in the summer. I think I got my moneys worth.
Now going with Lipo4 48v battery