Bike weight

So, I like the Voyageur, looks like it would make a great cross country road trip bike, but I was wondering - how much does it weigh? I know components can change that, but what's the approximate weight of the completed frame? I don't want to have to pedal a 90 lb bike up hills.

Look up the steel Box-section's weight per metre and do some sum's for the frame, then add all the components?
I was surprised to find my completed tadpole trike weighed 130# with all of its e-assist and batteries on board. :eek:

Danny,

Thanks for the reply, but I haven't bought any plans yet. As a physics professor, I'm capable of doing the calculations you mention, if I have the input data.
Trikes are going to be heavier than bikes, and batteries (even lithium) are going to pile on the pounds.

Anyone who has build the Voyageur care to estimate its weight? Get a light person to stand on a scale, and then holding the bike. Take the difference, and you have bike weight. Or, barring that, put one scale under each wheel, and add the weights.

Regards,
aeronaut

Danny,

Thanks for the reply, but I haven't bought any plans yet. As a physics professor, I'm capable of doing the calculations you mention, if I have the input data.
Trikes are going to be heavier than bikes, and batteries (even lithium) are going to pile on the pounds.

Anyone who has build the Voyageur care to estimate its weight? Get a light person to stand on a scale, and then holding the bike. Take the difference, and you have bike weight. Or, barring that, put one scale under each wheel, and add the weights.

Regards,
aeronaut
Yes, indeed that's a good and simple way to get a measure of the actual weight for a completed bike.
I think the problem is that the "plans" are great and result in a working trike but many people adapt the plans to suit their body type.
So the best someone can give you is the weight of one that they did "to the plan" or "as they adapted it to their situation"; and that may not be the same as you require or end up with.
But it certainly will be in the ball-park as a guide.
I hope someone on here can answer your query more precisely. :)