Changing my steering.

Today I decided to change my steering on my trike.
I don't know if others have the same problem, but on high speeds from 30km/h and up on bad roads, the steering starts to shake. Only on bad roads.
It stayed shaking till today. I changed the steering rod. Made it stiffer and that helped for a surten part. It still shakes, but now as the road gets better, it stops doing that.
I need to fix one bearing and I think that, that will also help lowering the shaking, but for nie it is no problem. Wednesday I will do a long trip and the speeds stays under the 30km/h, so I will have no problem.

Now I am going to change it. I am splitting the road and connect it to a part that is connected to my steering with a rod.
I will probably also switch to underseed handle bars. They now come up, but I am thinking to keep it low.
I will ad mij ting points for my display and phone to the frame.

But before this happens, I go first on my trike with my caravan behind my trike, to Berlin. Erst there for a few days in the neighborhood and visit the city. After that I go to the bike caravan meeting.
Long trip, but my trike did it last year, so I am not worried that he can't do it again.

Sorry Emiel, what steering is it that you have?
Direct Knuckle Steering/USS-links?
I had a "Shimmy" issue with my street-fox.

I check tomorrow my complete front part on play.
I didn't feel any today but i think i need some chimmies.

Sorry Emiel, what steering is it that you have?
Direct Knuckle Steering/USS-links?
I had a "Shimmy" issue with my street-fox.
I checked all parts on play and tightened everything, except 1. The bearing that is part of my handlebars, had a tiny bit of play.
Touring over 150km showed that the bike had still problems.
Today I fixed that tiny bit of play in the bearing and did a test ride.
Everything from shaking was gone.
I didn't expect that, that little bit of play, would cause so much problems.
I know that my old Trike has also a tiny bit of play in one spot. It has the same problem, but now I know that it is solved by fixing it.

Still will I change my steering, but only the handlebars.
Going to make them, so my hands are low.
I have them now high up, but low feels better.
I will get an other Aluminum tube and bend that to the right shape.
The only thing that makes that I don't do it before my holiday, is that I then also need to make mounting for my phone and e-assist display.

So september will be Trike changing month.

Wednesday I will look ad an other seat. A seat from a hp velotegnic. Getting one from a friend. Going to put that on my trike. I can then switch from seats. The current one will go to my first Trike. I am going to redo the wheel mounts and rear wheel mount also.
But the seat will be this week, the rest as I come back from my holiday.

Emiel-
Interesting thread with all your changes- any pics available? I too changed my steering on my Delta trike to USS. Ended up using the "legs" off an aluminum lawn chair for the "arms" of my steering. Much lighter than what I had before, but slightly fragile too, so we'll see how it holds up in the long run. I don't use a push rod at all- it's cable steering with a bunch of pulleys. Not sure i really like it completely, but it is probably lighter than a pushrod system overall.

I worked on my steering and I solved the problem. This makes that I keep the steering as it is.
There was one bearing with a little play in the housing and I removed that play. That solved it.
The rest I keep as it is.
The trike rides now good again. No more shaking.

But on the quad that I am going to build, I will use an other steering setup.
I don't know if you know the Optima rider Trike, but I will use that steering setup.
I will also use an Ackerman that points in front of the middle of the wheels, I stead of the middle.
The Optima rider has this also and that gives a smaller turning circle,

I have now no time for images, but I can post what I am going to do on the quad, as I come back from my holiday.

I found the problem and solved it. But I make some changes to it and do more.

Handlebars will be shortened and grips will sit low.
Bearing will be fixed with 2 bolds. This way it stays fixed and if needed I can tighten them. In Germany I had to fix the bearing several times.
Maibe I change the Ackerman a tiny bit. A smaller turning circle would be nice.
Phone mount and display from my e assist will move to the front derailleur mount.

I need to do more on my trike, like raising the front a bit, so I get a bit more clearance with my feat.
Lights I added will be removed.
Seat will be more reclined and gets a headrest.
Other motor. From a 250w mid motor to a 1000w hub motor with a 36/48v, 350/500w controler.
Bag mounts on the back without suspension. Only needed for my jacked and other small stuff.
3x7 so 21 gears. Must see what I do in the front. Want more speed, so I think that I get 3 bigger gears.
Other lights on it. So the 12v step down goes away for the big light in the front.
And need to set both wheels in the right angle.

My end goal is, to keep the cornering speed, more relaxed sitting position with a little bit less air resistance, a bit smaller turning circle and more speed/power.

500w is enough. It doesn't need to be to extreme.