DIY English Wheel

I want fenders for the bike and trikes I made, unfortunately they're expensive, as are english wheels, so here is my DIY wheel. Now off to learn how to make a fender.

Cool. I always wanted to try an english wheel. Let us know how it goes.
Do you not think the clamp vertical is too close to the wheels?... and that bolt a bit too long

It always looks so easy on one of them when I've seen an expert do it. I suspect the reality is lots of bent scrap before mastery. Good luck.

I'm not super worried about the "throat" depth. I don't have plans for it other than bike fenders. I figured if I made a really fat fender that was like 6" wide, I would still be good because I only would need 3" of clearance on the inside, then I could flip the fender around do to the other side.

I have cut all the bolts shorter now, including the bottom one. That was just the original length when it came with the clamp.

Popshot - I'm in the same boat and will keep you posted. I've watch a lot of videos online and am going to make a "shrinking facilitator" and then will give it a go on a fender and see what happens.

It always looks so easy on one of them when I've seen an expert do it. I suspect the reality is lots of bent scrap before mastery. Good luck.
Someone I know who is building a car body from scratch went on an intensive 3-4 day course to master the basics.
They gave him a small sheet and showed him how to roll a bulge into it ....
he was chuffed when he got it done
Then they gave him the same piece back and showed him how to roll it back to flat.....
Apparently that involved a LOT of swearing :giggle:

Paul

Final revision:
After using it for a short while and having no prior experience I learned a few things and made some adjustments:

I rebuilt the lower yoke, (I learned its a yoke) it holds the lower wheel and was twisting in the tube during use, so i made it as close to just fitting as I could.

Bearings are important! I removed the upper wheel's needle bearing and used enclosed flanged ones, they eliminated a lot of wobble which made it much easier to control.

Originally I had a bolt on the bottom anvils, I added flanged bearings there as well. After doing so I wasn't sure it was even working it was so smooth.

I added two pieces of angle iron along the bottom that allowed it to fit better in the vice.

I used a few levels of sandpaper and sanding pads with a drill to smooth out the top wheel.

Lastly I wire brushed it and spray painted it with I think bar b que paint, just to keep it from rusting.