Ebike fuses.

I have a 48 volt 450 watt bike and I am trying to replace controller with a 1000 watt 48 volt controller. I have a 10000mw 48 volt battery. When I connected controller only (no motor, accessories) it will blow a 20 amp blade fuse. (20 amp 12 volt). Do I need to get a 48 volt slo blow fuse like in golf carts? I bought two controllers and they each blow fuses. I can not find any mention of fuse values. Thanks!

It blows when I first turn it on with only the power leads connected. From the battery wiring goes thru a blade fuse to a toggle switch then to controller. When turned on there is a surge then it blows. I had been using a 20 amp fuse which I see is wrong. If watts equals amps x volts. A 1000 watt controller at 48 volts should equal a little over 20 amps. But this does not account for a start up surge. Also most fuses I see are for 12 volt. I am looking at a 48 volt slo blow in the range of 25 watts.

Several options, but the least "annoying" one is that the capacitators of the controller ask to much of the poor fuse.

You could try with a "spark surpressor connector", that precharges the caps with restricted (resistance) power.

Also, a 12V fuse will do 48V, volts don't blow fuses, amps do.

First off I thank you for your time and expertise. I will look into the spark suppressor. L faster (mid motor supplier) replied they use a 25 amp and a 20 amp fuse (I guess the 20 amp is in the battery charge circuit). I think using a slo blow fuse would help. I have a wire feed welder with 30 volt power yet the amps are enough to weld so I see "volts don't blow fuses. I will also check golf cart 48 volt fuses. Thank you again.