Fenders

A while back I posted a diy English wheel I built to build fenders. After a busy year job hunting, after the whole IT dept was outsourced to India, I finally am back to building. I had hoped to already be done by now because fall is when the most debris is on the trails around here, but life happens....

This is 22 g cold rolled steel for a 26" rear wheel.

Step 1. Beat the steel into a "shrinking stump" with a heavy hammer. This was the most enjoyable therapeutic part.

Step 2. Continue beating the big dents into smaller dents.

Step 3. Beat more big dents to get more of a curve.

Step 4. Beat big dents into smaller dents.

Step 5. Started using the english wheel to smooth it all out.

Step 6.I continued using the wheel to smooth it out more, rolled edges with a tipping die on a bead roller, and rounded the front and back.

Now I'm working on how to mount it.

All I can say is WOW what skill.

I would have been so down hearted I would probably have binned it by picture 3 !

paul

I'm not even really sure if I'll be able to make something worth selling / paying for...

Before I got to picture 2 I'd have been putting my order in to Amazon for a nice plastic pair!!

Amazing work. Now I can see what an English wheel can really do when someone has the skill.

John

Finally finished the fenders and figured out mounting brackets. Test ride is tomorrow and if all goes well I'll take them back off and paint them. Right now they're just sanded bare steel. (forgot to add the rear view)

Last edited:
I have no idea, I don't really know the workability of different kinds of metals, I don't even think the metal supply I go to carries titanium.

Went for two rides so far, I might need to tweak the front fenders a little, I still had stuff throw onto my arms but the back fender really kept everything off of me

Finally finished the fenders and figured out mounting brackets. Test ride is tomorrow and if all goes well I'll take them back off and paint them. Right now they're just sanded bare steel. (forgot to add the rear view)

total Awsome build. I sent you some message about how you did your steering. Mine is very shaky.

They're rant squad rims, i think its a bmx company i got them on ebay from planet bmx i think. The hubs were from ebay, and shipped from a sweat shop in china. I just searched for the specs the plans had and they showed up. I had a local bike shop lace them for me

Very nice, Thom. Yes, it is. Do you have time now to enjoy riding it?
I am finally getting out to ride. Went on my second ride this season, this weekend. While i am enjoying riding, I think I'm going to change or modify the front fenders they still throw a good deal of debris onto my arms

Doesn't like debris flying about. I've gone through several cheaply made import fenders. Thinking on making some test pieces from various materials. Not anything so finely crafted as the beauties this metal master makes, but not rough as a cob, either. Perhaps canvass.