Full fork trike

I did a search and didn't find any. Have you all seen full fork trikes? I am interested in this as I am a big guy and it would provide cheaper strong wheel options.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Be careful, on the unit shown above a LOT of weight would end up one one single fork stem around a corner or over a bump under one rear wheel. A fork is designed for axial strength in the almost vertical position, and I could see this bending very easily, even under my 170 pound weight.

Brad

Be careful, on the unit shown above a LOT of weight would end up one one single fork stem around a corner or over a bump under one rear wheel. A fork is designed for axial strength in the almost vertical position, and I could see this bending very easily, even under my 170 pound weight.

Brad
Brad

Wise words.

I think it needs to be triangulated between the 2 inside legs and below from the fork drop outs towards the seat base.

Should be easy as there will be some frame under there to support the jackshaft.

Also use two of those really sturdy MTB forks.

regards Paul

Might look like a "quick-fix" but its a bad one as Brad says. Loads and leverage of those loads is all wrong. Very poor design (IMHO).

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Also something to note is that the fork crown is made of one tube that is fit inside the other. This makes the design even less study after cutting and welding like shown.
If I had to rate the trike as shown in the photo, I would say 120 pound load (rider) at best, and that assumes never hitting that "biggie" pot hole at the end of the street.

Brad