I do not know if I should build or buy!

Hello!
This is my first post here. I have currently an electric car, which belongs to a moped class, and has a speed of 45km/h. The problem is the importer went out of business, and the factory in China do not support the model anymore. The car is still running, and is not a bad car, but in the longer run it is hard to keep thing float without spare parts and workshops supporting it.

I live rural, and have no public transport. My wife is not able to use a vehicle of any kind, and thats the reason I bought the car seven years ago.

I was thinking of get another way of transport (and use the moped car less to prolong the life of it), like a bike with electrc motor assistance. It has to be able to carry two adults. Gas is not an option.

I see many ebikes online, but I also see it is risky to buy, as you can never trust long time support. The trusted brands are very expensive, but not impossible if I save up. Some "brands" have for example non standard sizes of tires, and when looking online they are out of stock for long time.

I have some thought of building one as well. I will not be able to fix it without help from a workshop for part of it. The ideal bike would be a 4-wheeler, side by side electric bike with hub gears and mid-motor. To be able to use bike lanes the speed is restricted to 25km/h. There are ways to come around the 250 watt max motor, as I have license for up to 1000 watt(even 4000 watt, but that will beonly roads then). 1000 watt would be enought, it is the power of three pedaling.

What do you think. Have anybody built a sid by side 4-wheeler? My first worries is the strength of the bike.
I do not want it too heavy, and I have seen online construction looking too light, but more often they use more than needed.

Very often I see the rear drive is on just one wheel, or if a side by side, it is one wheel for each pedaling. How will
if work? Would not one chain to the rear which combined the two pedals be a better option?

You have probably already find out my English is not native.

With two chains each pedaller can operate at their own cadence. With just one each pedaller must be synchronised with the other. If you both pedal at a similar cadence then one will be fine. One wheel drive is going to be ok at 1000W or less. Many delta trikes use one wheel drive without issues. If one wheel drive doesn't leave you happy their are various ways of utilising a differential or making a faux differential from freewheels. All these options will add weight.

If support is a big requirement you want something that is made from basic bike parts, with no or few custom made ones.

Actualy, the basic problem is to keep the electric car running. And that depends on skill, knowledge, spare parts and a workshop.

The 4 wheeled 2 seater is a circumvention of that basic issue.

I don't know what country has bikepads wide enough for a side by side. Belgium isn't one of those. We already struggle with our Tadpole trikes.
My first tought would have been a Viking. Adding a 1000W Bafang BBSHD if the power is realy needed (Area with a lot of hills?)
Other option is the Kyoto. Still no 4 wheels, but the 2 seat side by side arrangement is there.

This would be a good start :-

original Mochet Velocar almost all standard bike parts

Plans available here :- burning man pedal car

regards Paul

Actualy, the basic problem is to keep the electric car running. And that depends on skill, knowledge, spare parts and a workshop.
snipped

Yes a trike like Kyoto would be easier to build than a 4-wheeler, but my whife has worries a trike will tip in corners.
It is not the same problem with a cycle as with a factory made car, regarding spareparts, as there are many brands out there which is used by many or near all who makes bikes.

I do not think 1000w is needed, 350w will be OK. If I use a midmotor a too strong will wear a lot. A hub gear to a decent price will have problems with high torque.

A four wheeler is more diffucult to build. With one front wheel it is easy to use a fork with shock absorber, and due to that
easier to get the wheels. A design with 4 wheels and forks looks a bit more difficult., and to mount them witout a fork will need
an axis which is thicker than normal wheels on bikes. I have no access to good workshop, but can do most of it, and get help with part of the job. I have to learn more before I start, and I will soon order plans, which I may not follow, but use to get a clue of how things works. A bike is not a simple thing to build. I must at least be aware of the problems before I start.

If I build a bike, it will be a bike which not has a low profile, we will sitt rather when lay down, and thats change the stabillity,
so my whife may be right. It is not possible to make it too wide, as many bike lanes are pretty narrow, but there is not many bikes there, as people here still use large SUVs. We will not very often come in a problem due to we use a side by side. The same is the roads,
it is allways possible here to use smaller roads whith just local traffic (use to meet one or two in a few km) I don't live in a city or even a village, it is in a farming landscape, which is mostly plain. I have about 8 km to closest place there any shops are, and 25 km to closest town, which is small.

This would be a good start :-

original Mochet Velocar almost all standard bike parts

Plans available here :- burning man pedal car

regards Paul
Yes I have seen all his videos, and got a lot of learning. A 4 wheeler frame is not the most difficult(strong enough and not too heavy), it is the way to make the drive, and steering working well.