Interesting idea 2T3 delta trike

Hi all

The Finnish forum has a couple of interesting delta trikes not seen anywhere else ? they call them 2T3 for 2 tracks 3 wheels

this one ended up with a body

So the idea is the trike only has 2 tracks , must make it easier to find a path on snow covered roads ?

A lower version , interesting as they steer both the wheels on one side !

The top version did acquire a steering damper during development.

drawing wrong way around and I have draw the single wheel in middle rather than nearer seat.

However where is the trike stability triangle [ red dashed line ? ] does not look right ? or does it follow red dotted line instead ?
It almost looks like you are sat alongside a 2 wheel recumbent with the wheel on a side car on the other side ?

Does it really need rear wheel steering ? if not it would be easy to drive both rear[ish] wheels ?
Also then it could be built with 3 x 20" suspension forks and be fully suspended ?

Just curious before I start cutting metal for my delta [ in my head [ there are Python things to attend to first :D]]

Paul

I doubt it needs rws any more than any delta does. The dashed line is right but if you move the single side wheel back to where the examples have it the area then encompasses the rider. They've made the rear wheel steer less than the front by giving less ratio to the the rear on the central steering pivot at the side. It's notable that despite plenty of snow, being Finland, they have prioritised rws over 2wd. How much is 2wd really needed? It's extra weight but is it extra benefit?

It's notable that despite plenty of snow, being Finland, they have prioritised rws over 2wd. How much is 2wd really needed? It's extra weight but is it extra benefit?
I think they all use studded tyres in the winter , 1wd is great till the situation occurs when you need 2wd ;)

Paul

There's only 1 steering lever which equalls one brake lever, though a static mount could be made to mount another. It's interesting that having one lever the rider still appears to reach over to get both hands on it. Those chassis look very flexible!

Having rws does mean a big caster can be used and still get good lock. That high caster front and rear on the steering side does mean some wheel lean which will help the tyres dig in on a corner

Last edited:
There's only 1 steering lever which equalls one brake lever, though a static mount could be made to mount another. It's interesting that having one lever the rider still appears to reach over to get both hands on it.
Possibly a bar end shifter ?

Those chassis look very flexible!
I believe the upper one was made from 25mm tubing and was described as very elastic when being ridden. It had a body and was very portly apparently.

Signs of being ridden

The end !

Having rws does mean a big caster can be used and still get good lock. That high caster front and rear on the steering side does mean some wheel lean which will help the tyres dig in on a corner
I suspect the 2 wheel steering is because the front wheel has limited lock turning right , however for a delta it is quite compact in length.

Paul

Curiouser and curiouser. It should turn left as easily as right as the type of steering employed is no more limited one way than the other. The seat only has lateral support at one side! The rear employs more caster than the front and as such will lean into the turn more than the front. It could be shorter still without the rws but nowhere near as funky. A most interesting trike design.

Hi all

The Finnish forum has a couple of interesting delta trikes not seen anywhere else ? they call them 2T3 for 2 tracks 3 wheels

this one ended up with a body

So the idea is the trike only has 2 tracks , must make it easier to find a path on snow covered roads
There being not many new inventions in cycling, that looks like a recumbent version of a Coventry Rotary Tricycle layout wise. Fascinating to see a over a century later, good find!

Curiouser and curiouser. It should turn left as easily as right as the type of steering employed is no more limited one way than the other. The seat only has lateral support at one side! The rear employs more caster than the front and as such will lean into the turn more than the front. It could be shorter still without the rws but nowhere near as funky. A most interesting trike design.
From the animation it looks like it interferes with the frame when turning right ?
Of course you could build that out anyway.

Paul

There being not many new inventions in cycling, that looks like a recumbent version of a Coventry Rotary Tricycle layout wise. Fascinating to see a over a century later, good find!
yes correct , nothing new under the sun

UK Ebay has some replicas for sale Rotary tricycle original 1839
Paul