Today's lesson - measure for your tie rods AFTER tightening ALL the relevant bolts. After tightening everything the gap lengthened by more than can be adjusted safely. I got the things too small and now need longer ones. I usually just use tube with welded on nuts but splurged a fiver on pukka Kart ones with a L/H thread at one end. Thus ends the lesson. At 54 I really ought to have learnt this some time ago!
Steering finished today. The clamp on the bars to column is strictly temporary to ensure it's perfectly aligned in tests before fully welding it and I'm not happy with the bars either so will either need to modify or start again. The M18 rod end took some getting on being designed for an M18 bolt not 18mm tube. The tube took some sanding down to fit. The UJ I made myself. UJs in socket sets have far too much play and car UJs are usually somewhat limited in movement. I can't test it tomorrow because I'm working but will try to see if the steering and suspension work on Monday.
Still to do:-
Rework the bars
Rear seat mount to rework as it isn't aligned
Possibly still to do:-
Convert to a solid front axle if the suspension compromises front wheel stability