Merge with Warrior Trike

I've got plans for the Streetfighter QuadCycle, but I like the location of the front wheels and steering system on the Warrior Racing trike. Is it possible to couple everything forward of the seat from the design of the Warrior Racing Trike to the design of everything behind the seat to the Streetfighter Quad?

SirJoey

Super Moderator

It had the front frame of the Warrior, direct steering, head tubes, & wheels of the StreetFox,
rear frame & brakes of the DeltaWolf, removable rear wheels from my Trike-Kit,
& a luggage rack of my own design, as well as other personal mods.

It was a sweet little ride, but personal circumstances forced me to let it go, sadly.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
We built a quad tandem out of a Streetfox front and modified delta back , one problem we had was lack of body twist, and the lack of weight when running single caused a loss of grip on the back wheels.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
That is always the "kicker" with a quad... on uneven ground, at least one wheel has to be in the air.
The only solution is either a frame that can twist or at least 2 wheel suspension.

I once tried an axially pivoting boom, but then realized that in that case a quad might as well be a delta trike!

Brad

It had the front frame of the Warrior, direct steering, head tubes, & wheels of the StreetFox,
rear frame & brakes of the DeltaWolf, removable rear wheels from my Trike-Kit,
& a luggage rack of my own design, as well as other personal mods.

It was a sweet little ride, but personal circumstances forced me to let it go, sadly.

Thank you very much for the information. Would it be best if I purchase Diy plans for the Warrior, StreetFox and Delta Wolf and use them with the plans I already have for the Streetfighter? Should the Streetfighter's rear axle setup work in lieu of the trike kit yours had?

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Would it be best if I purchase Diy plans for the Warrior, StreetFox and Delta Wolf and use them with the plans I already have for the Streetfighter?
Can't advise you on merging the Streetfighter with this. Although I personally have
ALL of those plans, the Streetfighter was not incorporated into this particular project.

Should the Streetfighter's rear axle setup work in lieu of the trike kit yours had?
Brad could probably better advise you on that. All I know
is what I personally used to cobble this thing together! :)

That is always the "kicker" with a quad... on uneven ground, at least one wheel has to be in the air.
The only solution is either a frame that can twist or at least 2 wheel suspension.

I once tried an axially pivoting boom, but then realized that in that case a quad might as well be a delta trike!

Brad
I guess that's why the Street Fighter is so long - to allow it to twist and keep all 4 wheels on the ground. Nice work

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
The position of the rider always keeps the rear wheels on the ground.
I am kind of on the fence when it comes to quads. I like the look, and they are a great base for a velocar, but in reality there is no advantage whatsoever when compared with any trike.
A quad will weigh more, cost more, and be a little more finicky.
Having said that, if a velocar or the cool look of a quad is what you are after, then that is reason enough!

Brad

I guess that's why the Street Fighter is so long - to allow it to twist and keep all 4 wheels on the ground. Nice work

I built a sociable tandem quad that is basically two warriors welded together with elements of timberwolf trike in the rear. I had the traction issue of a quad and figured out to put timberwolf suspension on the back wheels. Works perfect now.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
A quad will weigh more, cost more, and be a little more finicky.
Having said that, if a velocar or the cool look of a quad is what you are after, then that is reason enough!
All true. In my case, the "wow" factor was mainly what I was going for, but there WAS one slight advantage to this particular
quad... being a SWB with the rear wheels BESIDE me, instead of a single one BEHIND me (tadpole), made the overall vehicle
length shorter, & I really wanted something small & compact, compared to some of my other monstrosities.

Ultimately, I negated part of that benefit anyway with the cargo rack, but it was still considerably shorter overall. :)

Twinkle

Super Moderator
We built the quadem project , a quad tandem . An advantage was it was much shorter than the viking, but it needed both persons to keep the 4 wheels on the ground and stop the drive wheel from lifting . There is still a photo of it in the old gallery on the former site. Too large to have turned into a velo and a huge disadvantage was the turning circle was similar to an ocean liner.

Over the last few years, I tried to come up with a linear pedal system that would reduce the vertical travel of legs and feet. I've seen some interesting ideas on YouTube but they all seem to add a lot of weight. I've tried pivoting arms attached to push-rods, sliding arms attached to push-rods, a ratcheting system with a separate freewheel for each pedal attached to a jack-shaft. I've also tried a uni-strut frame and a wood frame based on the Mini-Indy go-kart plans. Once they got to the test stage they just didn't work like I had hoped. It seems like the most efficient design would be one that integrated the body and the frame into one structure. Any thoughts about linear to rotational pedal systems? (I've got some photos, but don't know how to attach)

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I think the Linear Pedal idea would be perfect for it's own thread... it's a great topic for a long discussion with many photos and ideas.
I also messed with the idea, never with any "better than rotary" results though.
Brad

All true. In my case, the "wow" factor was mainly what I was going for, but there WAS one slight advantage to this particular
quad... being a SWB with the rear wheels BESIDE me, instead of a single one BEHIND me (tadpole), made the overall vehicle
length shorter, & I really wanted something small & compact, compared to some of my other monstrosities.

Ultimately, I negated part of that benefit anyway with the cargo rack, but it was still considerably shorter overall. :)
What is “SWB”?