Mig Welder conversion.

Or should it be "Mig welder Perversion?"
I bought a cheap little multi-function MIG box (because I can).
It's a 3 in 1 Stick, lift TIG and Gasless MIG unit.
What I find strange is that while it has a pass-thru gas-port on the torch socket for when doing TIG (with a manual gas valve on the torch).
So I think it would be possible to place a gas-valve inside the box and have that triggered when the MIG torch button is pressed, as that is what triggers the wire-feed motor anyway.
I will look into the possibilities in due course, but for now it is a back-burner project.

So I think it would be possible to place a gas-valve inside the box and have that triggered when the MIG torch button is pressed, as that is what triggers the wire-feed motor anyway.
I will look into the possibilities in due course, but for now it is a back-burner project.
Not to difficult to do. I have plenty of gas valves in stock if you ever need one.

Not to difficult to do. I have plenty of gas valves in stock if you ever need one.
Cheers Pegasus!
I have too much going on ATM and this little box is on a back-burner, but gas-enabling it is a definite requirement.
TBH, I could have bought a gas-ready box of a lower spec, for the same price, but this seems to be more "variable" in its settings and not just Low-Mid-Hi weld current and the like.
What sort of price are we talking about for a gas valve and some fittings?

Ooops... looks like I am a silly-billy (nothing new there then).
I just re-checked the Chinglish manual that came with my machine and a few more You-Tube video-reviews and this new welder is in fact a Gas-MIG welder. :)
The first review on You Tube I watched the bloke went straight for a gasless Flux-cored wire set-up, which made me think it was gasless only and then he did the TIG with a separate discrete gas line outside the unit.
So...I thought :( it's a gasless machine. But it isn't. :)
There's a gas input spout on the back, the torch is a standard MB15 AK torch and this video (Italian chap) shows it with gas connected and the "pea-gauge" operating as he welds with solid wire.
So it looks like I just need a cheap-ish regulator and a gas bottle. :)

Last edited:
Dan

.. and a brain transplant ... ?

Paul

Hello DannyC, I am new to AZ builder forum I would like to find like-minded, electric bicycle (3-4 wheels) developers. These are photos of my electric tricycles. I'd be grateful if you'd write to me. My e-mail: mickuspranas @yahoo.com PRANAS.

Hello DannyC, I am new to AZ builder forum I would like to find like-minded, electric bicycle (3-4 wheels) developers. These are photos of my electric tricycles. I'd be grateful if you'd write to me. My e-mail: mickuspranas @yahoo.com PRANAS.
Hi Pranas, the forum right here is where we all exchange ideas. e-mails are not required.