Mobike parts

Has anyone ever seen the front hub assembly on a Mobike? Although it looks like a disc it's actually a drum and looks fixed with a single nut. It would appear at a casual glance that the front hub assembly could be used as the undriven end of a trike. I'm aware they use a lot of thief-proof fasteners and are not lightweight but the wheels look great even though they'll need drilling for a valve hole due to the solid tyres. Does seem potential there though. Good pictures showing them stripped are unfortunately hard to find.

This is the best view of the front hub and brake I can find.

Some enterprising person needs to steal one and dissect it...clearly. ;)
Do we know anyone who has Mobike in their area?

They turn up on Ebay Mobike however I wouldn't hold your breathe hoping a normal tyre will fit.

I had a wheel from one of the yellow one's and that had a normal rim however there was all sorts of stuff needed to get the solid tyre on.

The Mobike does not look a normal rim profile ? and who wants 22" wheels ?

Paul

That one nut is to hold the outer part on. The inner part is mounted to the frame. Probably cimilar as the other drum brakes.

The Mobike does not look a normal rim profile ? and who wants 22" wheels ?

Paul
We must be looking at different wheels because I'm looking at 24" ones. I've seen a few pictures showing the size and they've all been 24 / 507.

Strangely enough the tyres also have a PSI rating on them yet there's no valve on the wheel!!??

Last edited:
I splurged on some parts.

The front drum is 90mm diameter though the shoes are only 12mm across. This particular one is in need of some sanding. Can someone tell me how wide the Sturmey ones are please? The shoes operate in a different manner to the Sturmey in that the non operated pivot for the shoes is not fixed to the backplate and as the first shoe contacts the drum this then operates the second shoe. This looks to effectively give you no leading or trailing shoe characteristic. The backplate has a nice holder for the cable outer and a hole can be drilled in it for a bolt to prevent turning. The mounting pin is 15mm with very slightly raised parts to support the bearings fully - a nice touch. The front thread is turned down and looks like an M12 fine. I don't have an M12 fine so can't be certain. It looks a simple matter of cutting off the unwanted frame end of the pin and welding on a nut to make a more useful bolt though equally the pin could be used as is by simply making the frame mount from tubing the right width for the pin as is. The tyres are directional so one would need to be turned round - not an issue if swapping to pneumatics. The wheels are very sturdy looking alloys though no hole for a valve so one would need making. The only fasteners of any issue on the assembly are the security torx bolts for the wheels though tools are readily available for them or you can swap to std button head bolts after removing them.

We must be looking at different wheels because I'm looking at 24" ones. I've seen a few pictures showing the size and they've all been 24 / 507.

Strangely enough the tyres also have a PSI rating on them yet there's no valve on the wheel!!??

Yes nice looking wheels , especially if alloy.

It was some review I found that said 22" , I would not have been surprised if they were 22" as they do odd things like that to these bikes to discourage them being robbed for parts.

Would be interesting to see if the shaft drive could be mated to a IGH giving a chainless transmission of some use ?

The bikes for sale around here NOS were yellow OFO bikes again tubless although IIRC 26" and Shimano dyno and roller brake front and IIRC 3 speed Nexus - roller brake on the back , I was offered 2 for £80 each however there were not enough usable parts IMHO to warrant purchase.

Paul

The wheels are indeed alloy. The OFO seemed somewhat less left field than the Mobike. These Mobike parts do seem quite suitable for the non driven end of a trike. I've picked up two wheels/tyres and complete hubs and brakes for £80 so also a cheaper do than using a pair of Sturmeys and making your own wheels. I suspect the Sturmeys have wider shoes than the Mobike so the 90mm ones probably offer better stopping. Should anyone be interested I got the bits from an ebay seller emranahmad2010. I believe he bought a wholesale lot of them and can't shift them as complete bikes so is happy to break them.

Last edited:
The rear Mobike hub is somewhat of an oddity. The drive shaft poking out one side is on a freewheel. This freewheel shaft will need to be on the left hand side to drive the wheel and disc. It would be possible to fix a cassette to it with some ingenuity and use the 5 bolts to mount it to the chassis. I have no idea what one of the wire sets is for as the julet type connector has zero connectors in it but there's a matched pair of extra wires that I believe is for a dynamo that powers the original Mobike lock. Exactly how much this puts out I have no idea. The disc is 160mm. I pontificate that it would be possible to both fudge a cassette on and build a single sided chassis mount to hold it. Such a single sided arm would probably be heavier than a traditional chassis but would look way cooler. A left hand drive is also going to cause some gear selection issues in that a rear derailleur ought to be simple enough to suss out but a front one is likely to cause some headaches.

A mock up of how the rear hub could be used as a left hand chain drive. The 14.6mm shaft would need a freehub welding on with the freehub itself welded solid. The freehub I have here is approx 13mm so would drill out acceptably. Other freehubs may be different. The freehub would be further out than usual probably necessitating a fat bike bottom bracket to align somewhat closer than a std one. The circular plate is to be welded to the 38mm tubular steel ring. There are, of course, other ways to skin the same cat.
The disc is hiding at the tyre edge.
The tubular steel ring is fully clear of the tyre so any chassis has a straight run to it.

My next (as if having two projects on the go already isn't enough) project will probably be a Mosquito and I'm considering using 3 mobike wheels for it.