More Obsessing about Brakes

AZers:

I am in the middle, actually more like the beginning of my build of a Streetfighter/Timberwolf. I notice that some of the AZ plans (Streetfighter, Aurora Delta) seem to not have front brakes. Hape03 has weighed on this and said that he would add them if he did it again, but I curious about the performance of only rear, two rotor disc brakes for both wheels and are they enough? I live in an urban area and am concerned about panic stopping...Plus all that weight!

Dan in Boston

The 3 machines have 1 thing in common. 2 rear wheels. The Aurora and Timberwolf are delta's, the Streetfight a lwb quad. In all of those, the rear brakes have stopping power.
And of course, nobody forbids you to add a front brake. I would do it.

Most of the plans were made when Disk brakes broke the bank. Nowadays, that's not true anymore. The small Chinese "RED" ones are €15 or so for the calipers.
And disks, you can make'm from any kind of flat sheet that's between 1.7 and 2mm thick. But I wouldn't bother, again, what was "expensive" 10 years ago is aggressively cheap nowadays.

Thanks for you feedback. I already ordered the hubs and wheels for the front construction so I will use them for the moment so I can push ahead with the construction of the front end...thanks Maddox

Yes, I will eventually install them, but for the moment I will stick to the existing design in the interest of progress.