Mountain Fox update

Just getting started on trike one of three. The design has morphed into a loose copy of a commercially available unit sporting 26” knobby tires. figured I’d post a couple pics.

Pic 1 - tires, tubes, rim strips, and hoops picked out, waiting for tools and front hubs to arrive

Pic 2 - rear triangle pivot, seat tube, and shock mount tacked up

Pic 3 - steering head tubes and fork stems ground and ready.

Last edited:
hmmmmm... no pics.

10 mins late.... they appear. lol.

Last edited:
the pics above don't show anything particularly exciting, only that I've gotten started on the project.

I've picked out my rear hub, and 7 speed cassette (two different bikes, naturally :rolleyes: ) , waiting on tool to disassemble / swap
also waiting on tool to disassemble the bottom bracket from the donor frame. Internal parts will be from the rear triangle donor.
front hubs ordered too.

I'm going to trim the fork stems and make the spindle mount tabs yet this weekend, but that's as far as I plan to get

Last edited:
front hubs are 20mm / 3/4 axles I hope? With 26" front wheels the stress on the axles is going to be higher. IMO

front hubs are 20mm / 3/4 axles I hope? With 26" front wheels the stress on the axles is going to be higher. IMO
yes. Origin8 20mm axle, 36 spoke, disc brake.
I've been conflicted about the axles / spindles - a 20mm solid axle seems overkill ?
Thick wall tube ? I have a metal lathe.
follow the plans ? - 5/8 bolts with spacers for the bearing I.D.s.

Last edited:
Hollow tube would be just fine.
3/16" wall minimum would be my guess.

Brad
if you made a hollow tube axle - 20mm o.d., approx 3/16" wall (.412" i.d.) -- would you ...
  1. tap the inside of the axle, and bolt it up flush to a tab with a hole in it (modified Atomic Zombie style)
  2. tap the inside of the axle, weld or machine a shoulder that bolts up flush with a tab with a hole in it (modified Atomic Zombie style)
  3. fashion a tube clamp welded to the fork stem, that clamps the axle (Catrike spindles are kind of made this way)
  4. weld the tube to the fork stem (essentially one piece spindle) tap the outer end for a retainer bolt/ washer
  5. alternative ?
found these while hunting the 'net

Last edited: