My life with Python trikes Mk1 , Mk1.5 , Mk2 ?

Of course if I carried a quick link the fix could have been much quicker
I seem to recall you giving me a ticking-off about my use of quick-links and telling me they were to be avoided. ;)

I seem to recall you giving me a ticking-off about my use of quick-links and telling me they were to be avoided. ;)
There is a slight difference between 1 fitted in an emergency and IIRC the 3 you had fitted to one chain ?

Paul

There is a slight difference between 1 fitted in an emergency and IIRC the 3 you had fitted to one chain ?

Paul
Not really true, there were 2 and one-half chains (i.e. 3 chains) on that tadpole so 3 quick-links required. Honest Guv'nor.
Yes, I could have popped the rivets and joined the chains without quick-links.....but as you have so eloquently observed above......they can then work their way out again; so best to always have a quick-link handy. :D
I rest my case M'lud. ;)

Dan

Wrong answer ! when joined 2 and 1/2 chains = 1 chain which equals 1 quick link ?

So after another dirty wet ride Friday it was time to step up and do something about it....

So this is the Mk1 rear mudguard frame:-
designed on the fly and made from available materials
yes it is made of cheap white soft wood
yes the mudguards are held on with reusable cable ties
yes it's a bit flimsy

that's deliberate ,as predicted by some one here I may hit an obstruction whilst out riding [ although it is much harder on this trike as the rear wheels are now as wide as my elbows a built in gauge ! ]
So the whole thing is floppy in the hope it will displace and even if the wood breaks which is easily replaced the mudguards that cost money should be saved :giggle:

It was designed to fit around the current pannier and utilise existing holes in the frame.

The time was also taken to add a platform at the back , hopefully after the front mudguard is added I will be able to reveal it's purpose ?

Paul

Tilt#2 = 72 miles - retired - dangerous
Tilt#3 = 272 miles - [semi] retired - proved tilting seat concept
Tilt#4 = 135 miles - retired - will be born again Tilt#6 ?
Tilt#5 = 82 miles - [semi] retired - still usable [ at present ] should Tilt#6 need work
Tilt#6 = 125 miles
Total = 687 tilting miles so far..

Ok today's ride was very interesting and also contained mild peril.

On the way back I met an old gentleman who enquired about my trike after answering his questions I asked him if he wanted to ride it...
Well you could have blown me down with a feather when he said yes !
So never ridden a recumbent
Never ridden a trike
Never ridden a tilter before
Set it up for him on a footpath around a local lake.
His first ride was very hesitant and he had difficulty turning around doing a 4 part shuffle.
When he got back I suggested he went further as the path broadened out and would be easier to turn around , so off he set again disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a smile on his face , no problems encountered !

Very positive.

So after I left I had a very tight [ <8ft ] 90' turn to do travelling to fast as the traffic lights turned against me.
The rear wheels locked up as I slowed down and the whole trike stepped sideways maybe 6" STREWTH !
No drama it stayed upright and steered because I had not locked up the front wheel , very satisfying .

Paul

Last edited:
Tilt#5 = 82 miles - [semi] retired - still usable [ at present ] should Tilt#6 need work
Tilt#6 = 125 miles
Total = 687 tilting miles so far..

Ok today's ride was very interesting and also contained mild peril.

On the way back I met an old gentleman who enquired about my trike after answering his questions I asked him if he wanted to ride it...
Well you could have blown me down with a feather when he said yes !
So never ridden a recumbent
Never ridden a trike
Never ridden a tilter before
Set it up for him on a footpath around a local lake.
His first ride was very hesitant and he had difficulty turning around doing a 4 part shuffle.
When he got back I suggested he went further as the path broadened out and would be easier to turn around , so off he set again disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a smile on his face , no problems encountered !

Very positive.

So after I left I had a very tight [ <8ft ] 90' turn to do travelling to fast as the traffic lights turned against me.
The rear wheels locked up as I slowed down and the whole trike stepped sideways maybe 6" STREWTH !
No drama it stayed up right and steered because I had not locked up the front wheel , very satisfying .

Paul
Don't you mean that you met "Another old gentleman, such as yourself"? ..... ;) I'll get my coat.

Glad you remain unscathed. :)

Today's progress Yes !

However first did the mudguards work you ask ?

Not wet per say , however plenty of rain in the night

The mudguards did not fall off and stopped the visible crud from plastering my jacket arms Hooray 👍:)

Plenty of trike's I see on the web seems to have a plastic box strapped to the back , I though well it might be easier than struggling with panniers ?

Box was all of £8.00 for 65 litres ! so very flimsy and not going to be very water tight , we can live with that if it gives me some space ?
I built a simple wooden platform bolted to trike rear axle , separate from the mudguard mount and bolted the box to it through the corners.

These are the 2 panniers I was to build a rack for , as you can see it swallows them with room to spare !

I need to give it some removable partitions/boxes to stop stuff rattling and moving about , probably start with some cardboard boxes and lumps of bubble wrap.

If this works in practice I am sure I could buy a box that is stronger and water tight , maybe even lockable ?

all for now Paul

Today's progress Yes !

However first did the mudguards work you ask ?

Not wet per say , however plenty of rain in the night

The mudguards did not fall off and stopped the visible crud from plastering my jacket arms Hooray 👍:)

Plenty of trike's I see on the web seems to have a plastic box strapped to the back , I though well it might be easier than struggling with panniers ?

Box was all of £8.00 for 65 litres ! so very flimsy and not going to be very water tight , we can live with that if it gives me some space ?
I built a simple wooden platform bolted to trike rear axle , separate from the mudguard mount and bolted the box to it through the corners.

These are the 2 panniers I was to build a rack for , as you can see it swallows them with room to spare !

I need to give it some removable partitions/boxes to stop stuff rattling and moving about , probably start with some cardboard boxes and lumps of bubble wrap.

If this works in practice I am sure I could buy a box that is stronger and water tight , maybe even lockable ?

all for now Paul
That is probably a Standard Crate in its sizing. It is very likely that something of that size can be obtained in a sturdier form. Or, build your own box from plywood with reinforcing.

Tilt#6 = 137 miles
Total = 699 tilting miles so far..

So two updates in one post - economy !

Wednesdays ride did not start well I received a email sent Tuesday night telling me my coffee and cake stop had tested positive for Covid bummer !
Luckily I had not gone Monday as usual so had not seen him since Friday morning.
However that left the problem of mothers the ride's destination ? I resolved to turn up drop her stuff off and turn around and come home , so no inside warmth tea etc [ although I did blag the biscuits (y):D ]
It was bitterly cold and I left the house @ 7:30 and did not return till 9:45 I was perished , feeling toes was a distant memory still I got the miles in.
I did 2 tests Wednesday morning and Thursday morning both negative so that's a relief , my friend continues to get worse and as he is on immnosuppressed it is a worry.

Tilt#6 = 149 miles
Total = 711 tilting miles so far..

Friday more miles still bitterly cold however more clothing was worn and I was able to stop inside at mothers for a warm up and cup of tea , that helped.
Back box has developed an annoying squeak as has chain and full length front mudguard is awaiting fitting however NOT in this :D

Paul

Tilt#6 = 173 miles
Total = 745 tilting miles so far..

Ok 3 updates in one !

Been ill for a week not eating and lost about 2.5kg , and looking at my shape it was all muscle and NOT fat :(.
So first ride was last Wednesday only did the short 10 miles , all went without a hitch , however I was very slow taking 50 minutes for a 30 minute ride !

Friday did the short ride again however seemed to have a bit more vigour so went easier.

Today I did the longer ride in just under an hour , that is about par for the course , so things are looking up.

Nothing untoward happened and tilting happened as and when required , so very pleased

That's 34 miles in total to add to the tally :D

Tilt#6 still 100 miles short of Tilt#3's milage , still we press on !

Paul

Tilt#6 = 173 miles
Total = 745 tilting miles so far..

Ok 3 updates in one !

Been ill for a week not eating and lost about 2.5kg , and looking at my shape it was all muscle and NOT fat :(.
So first ride was last Wednesday only did the short 10 miles , all went without a hitch , however I was very slow taking 50 minutes for a 30 minute ride !

Friday did the short ride again however seemed to have a bit more vigour so went easier.

Today I did the longer ride in just under an hour , that is about par for the course , so things are looking up.

Nothing untoward happened and tilting happened as and when required , so very pleased

That's 34 miles in total to add to the tally :D

Tilt#6 still 100 miles short of Tilt#3's milage , still we press on !

Paul
Good to hear that you are mostly recovered and that Tilt#6 is performing. :)
I think I have made up for your weight-loss by adding to my adipose tissue since last week. :(

Good to hear that you are mostly recovered and that Tilt#6 is performing. :)
Thanks , performing as well as the rider at least ...

I think I have made up for your weight-loss by adding to my adipose tissue since last week. :(
Gone up a bra size again !

Paul

Last edited: