Neat tilting delta Python trike

A higher seat will equal a larger swing as you tilt on such a system so be prepared to widen the bars to allow it.
I think that will depend on whether you need the bars to get it to tilt , or weight shift will be enough ?

Slowly, slowly catchy monkey ?

On this Flevo trike you can see the bars are not on the fixed non tilting/steering lower portion ?

However you can't see if they are on the front part or mounted under the seat on the tilting upper part ?

This is interesting , I had not though of looking for the joint by name ?

Still no idea where the bars are mounted ? may be STUUR clamp on above drawing ? although according to google that means SEND ?

This shows bars underneath :-

and this appears to show bars on top of steering part ?

Confused ? you will be ;)

Paul

I believe a python naturally steers when tilted (ie it steers into the gutter on a cambered road)
Unless DannyC builds it ? then on a cambered road it folds in the middle with the pivot heading for the gutter and the trike and rider making a dash for the other side of the road ...:whistle:

The mosquito's steering is comparable with the one in the video. So rear wheel steering. But as you put it vertical, you remove a lot of steering in the back. Combined with the phyton front, you get steering back and can ride it without tilting, or in fast carners, with tilting.

It depends on where you mount the rear wheels. You can move the cross section more under the seat as Popshot says and you get more space.

One other thought. Riding a non-tilting python effectively hands free is likely to be a different experience when you add tilting into it. I believe a python naturally steers when tilted (ie it steers into the gutter on a cambered road) so the two experiences may be somewhat different. ie you may be happy with feet only whilst on a flat road but as soon as you tilt you may not be. Equally being able to tilt could effectively counter road camber reducing the need for the hands on the steering. Lots of variables and you may win on the swings and loose on the roundabouts. Still nothing ventured nothing learned.
Yes the tilting will cause some steering. You lower that, by lowering the rotation point of the tilting system. On the ground and you have no steer, the higher you go, the more steer you get.
The mosquito also keeps dome steering with its tilting.

I think that will depend on whether you need the bars to get it to tilt , or weight shift will be enough ?

Slowly, slowly catchy monkey ?

On this Flevo trike you can see the bars are not on the fixed non tilting/steering lower portion ?

However you can't see if they are on the front part or mounted under the seat on the tilting upper part ?

This is interesting , I had not though of looking for the joint by name ?

Still no idea where the bars are mounted ? may be STUUR clamp on above drawing ? although according to google that means SEND ?

This shows bars underneath :-

and this appears to show bars on top of steering part ?

Confused ? you will be ;)

Paul
I missed this post.
The bars are mounted on the front part. So they are part of the steering. I think so it is easier to hold the steering in the right position as you ride away. As soon as you ride, you can let go of the bars and ride like that man, without hands.

That diagram at least gives you some idea of the rubber grade - 55 shore. I don't think I explained the wider bars successfully though. If the bars are on the fixed part you will roll towards the inside one in a bend. At some point you will hit that inside one with your thigh or hip. The higher the seat the more you swing and the wider the bars need to be to allow this.

Did I get it opposite way about on the python natural steering. Is it into or out of the gutter?

Unless DannyC builds it ? then on a cambered road it folds in the middle with the pivot heading for the gutter and the trike and rider making a dash for the other side of the road ...:whistle:
Dannyc uses an other system, what makes that the complete trike tilts, also the rear. You can still ad a luggage rack, but that needs to be aboove the wheels with enough space for the wheels and it will tilt with you.

You are right Popshot. As you mount the bars to the part that holds the rear wheels, you will need to widen them as you put the tilting system further away from you.

As the gutter is on your left and therefore the left is lower, you will steer to the right with the tilting system.

Thought I'd got it wrong, :eek: so a tilting python will naturally want to steer in the opposite direction to the tilt. Not good.

This is a drawing of the Flevotrike

It would imply the clamp just in front of the seat is for the handle bars ?

It would be great if we knew someone who read Dutch and could translate these FlevoTrike plans and explain where the handle bars are fixed and what the rear track is ?

Paul

Thought I'd got it wrong, :eek: so a tilting python will naturally want to steer in the opposite direction to the tilt. Not good.
No it steers into the tilt. So as you want to go left, you hang left and you will turn left. But in a gutter as the road isn't level, it will turn to the higher point. It is if you hang to that direction.

This is a drawing of the Flevotrike

It would imply the clamp just in front of the seat is for the handle bars ?

It would be great if we knew someone who read Dutch and could translate these FlevoTrike plans and explain where the handle bars are fixed and what the rear track is ?

Paul
Dutch isn't that hard, even I can speak and write Dutch. 😂😂

Yes that is the clamb for the handle bars.

I don't see the difference between being on a camber and being tilted!? The pivot is unaware of the difference as far as I can see. Either way the pivot will tend towards the lower point ie the ground and counter steer.

Edit.
I see now. The effective ground is still perfectly in line with the pivot due to centripetal force so that wouldn't naturally steer either way due to the pivot. It does make getting the right amount of lean rather important though or you'll be fighting the steering one way or the other.

Last edited:
Popshot don't put your money on it being either !

When DannyC's trike did that I asked on the Python mailing list no one admitted there's had exhibited those traits [ although there are no many trike builders/riders on there ]
The solution suggested as to shorten it , it worked enough to make it ridable , whether it has eliminated it ? who knows he has not ridden it much (n)

One of the ideas of my mule was to lengthen the wheel base and see if I could get mine to do that ?

Since he mentioned it I had noticed if mine is placed across a steep slope [ with me off it ] often the nose would swing UP the slope so effectively pushing the pivot down the slope but not every time.

There is another phenomenon at play here , I am one of the few trike riders with brakes on the rear ? when braking one wheel the rear half turns towards the slowing wheel pushing taking the pivot with it thus turning the front in the opposite direction and so steering the whole trike away from the slowing wheel ?

This is actually very safe ? as say left arm out indicating a left turn so only braking with the right hand the rear tries to turn towards the slowing wheel [ right ] pushing the pivot right which pushes the front end left so almost no correction needed ?

Paul

There is another phenomenon at play here , I am one of the few trike riders with brakes on the rear ? when braking one wheel the rear half turns towards the slowing wheel pushing taking the pivot with it thus turning the front in the opposite direction and so steering the whole trike away from the slowing wheel ?

This is actually very safe ? as say left arm out indicating a left turn so only braking with the right hand the rear tries to turn towards the slowing wheel [ right ] pushing the pivot right which pushes the front end left so almost no correction needed ?

Paul
The reaction should be expected and I like your view that it actually helps you. I can see how it can help out.(y)

Tilted or on a camber, doesn't matter. You will steer to the point where you are closest to the ground yes.
Surely it does matter. On a camber you are trying to ride straight whilst tilted. Your weight is operating to move the pivot to it's lowest point and steer away from the gutter. Whilst tilted you are presumably trying to turn a corner and so centrifugal force alters the perceived lowest point. If you have leaned the correct amount for the corner and speed the lowest point will be directly inline with the pivot and so will not affect steering due to the weight acting on the pivot.
Lean too little and it will turn in, too much and it will turn out meaning you can affect the steering by the amount of lean which may well help with hands off.

Last edited:
I looked ad the pdf and they use 2 dampeners.
Both systems work togheter to steer and tilt. Tilting is limited by the dampener and so is the steering.
The handle bars can be mounted on 2 places. On the front part, or o under the seat ad the rear part.

The rear dampener is having 2 functions. Dampening as a sort suspension and for the tilting.
The dampener more to the front, behind the steering, is for the steering do it stays stable.
Then there is a 3rd dampener. That one is by the front wheel. It uses a trailing front setup and the dampener is a front shock.
They mounted the wheel like that, so it is stable and therefore can be ride without hands.

Last edited:
That way, yes it will always steer on a road with a camber as you want yo dit level. So you need always counter steer, to go straight.
Sorry I didn't understand what you meant and I was only thinking of what the trike does.

The more I think here the more that having a separate tilt system acts to assist with the steering, making the hands free steering part easier to control than a non-tilter with hands free steering.