Oh No, what have I done?

I am pleased to have resolved quite a few of the standard-issue "areas for improvement" with the lathe.
So that neatly sidesteps all the many hours spent on the phone trying get him to stop crying and think positively about the 30kg of junk that it was when first delivered to his house ?

So that neatly sidesteps all the many hours spent on the phone trying get him to stop crying and think positively about the 30kg of junk that it was when first delivered to his house ?
HOURS on the phone? :unsure:
No tears here, just total disbelief that they thought it was "adequate" as delivered. 💩
Happy to have managed to rework the drive system so it doesn't eat belts, and the other "upgrades" I have applied have made a lot of positive changes. :p
  • Cross-slide "slop" removed (turned a spacer washer).
  • FWD/REVERSE/Neutral stops for leadscrew re-aligned. (drilled "stop" holes in the right places.
  • Metal gearing alignment sorted. (removed all the "hammered-on" gears with a gear puller, cleaned the gears, filed the woodruff keys to fit better.
  • Crap 90-degree QCTP replaced for a proper one (proper machifit dovetail tool-post fitted).
  • Thrust bearing installed on QCTP clamp (allows better tool-post setting at any angle).
It was, (I have to agree) a really big disappointment at first, and Paul was very supportive in encouraging me to battle through the issues.
The majority of the known issues are all well taken care of now and I look forward to using the thing as intended. :)
Looking forward to the first "custom" part I need to make. ;)

Will probably need to buy a small "Milling Machine" to go with it I suspect.

Will probably need to buy a small "Milling Machine" to go with it I suspect.
Aaargh here we go again ............

Good old Chinese QC. I have the lathe that they copied from which yours is the latest derivative. Mine was made in East Germany and as you'd expect, the Germans (even under communism) made it right though doubtless not as cheaply as the Chinese.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Mine is back in operation again after replacing the high/low gears, a few C clips and a new belt . Much quieter now and the top speeds of 1000 & 2500 rpm is for us a distinct advantage. Ours now is used mainly for spacers , we might progress to a mill when the budget can stretch to it .
Regards Emma.

Mine is back in operation again after replacing the high/low gears, a few C clips and a new belt . Much quieter now and the top speeds of 1000 & 2500 rpm is for us a distinct advantage. Ours now is used mainly for spacers , we might progress to a mill when the budget can stretch to it .
Regards Emma.
Glad it all went back together OK Emma.
I am still learning some of the basics of machining on scrap bits of rod, but I am pleased with the performance of this little thing now that I have resolved all of the usual faults/foibles.
Eventually a real need for a lathe will crop up and I hope to be ready. ;)

Last edited: