Redesigning the wheel

Working on a design for a tricycle similar to the Loadrunner but with huge wheels like the Gladiator. Then the thought hit me that I would like to have a coaster brake. Has anyone tried this or similar before?

Working on a design for a tricycle similar to the Loadrunner but with huge wheels like the Gladiator. Then the thought hit me that I would like to have a coaster brake. Has anyone tried this or similar before?

message received guys. Disc brakes it is. Sometimes my imagination runs wild.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Very similar Sir Joey. It appears that you also went electric,which was also in my plans.
I did originally. The batts were in the tall box immediately behind the seat. Sadly, the electrics crapped out after only 500 miles,
so I removed them. This trike is one of the few I still have left, but the batt box is now just an empty box, & the trike is strictly an HPV.

I planned on reviving the electrics someday as a push trailer, but can't afford to just yet. Still don't know what the actual problem was,
but I've always suspected it was the controller.

I did originally. The batts were in the tall box immediately behind the seat. Sadly, the electrics crapped out after only 500 miles,
so I removed them. This trike is one of the few I still have left, but the batt box is now just an empty box, & the trike is strictly an HPV.

I planned on reviving the electrics someday as a push trailer, but can't afford to just yet. Still don't know what the actual problem was,
but I've always suspected it was the controller.

I noticed the front wheel motor. I have the same setup on my Schwinn Meridian trike. Built a battery box in back on mine too and yes the controllers seem to be the weak link in the system, i've had to change mine after 2 years and now the lead acid batteries have started going after 2 1/2 years. Still cheaper than my old truck was to drive. I quit driving back in '16. Retired now and couldn't see the sense in spending the money for Insurance . For trips longer than a few miles I use Uber.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
I went overboard on the system, being obsessed with RANGE. Four 50ah batts netted me a whopping range of 75
MILES with NO PEDDLING, as long as I ran at about 60% throttle (around 20 mph). I was WELL satisfied with that!

However, the killers were twofold. First, the weight of the batts at 37 lbs each for an enormously heavy 148 lbs!
Secondly, the total cost of the system, which came in right around $2,000, which at that time, at least for me,
was an ENORMOUS amount, especially to have only gotten 500 miles use out of it to this very day. 😭