So what's next?

So the Python-Trial machine is basically completed and ride-able however, 'idle hands do the devil's work'; so another project is required, but what?
With 2 Tadpoles and a Python in the current list of available trikes there is an imbalance so maybe another delta?
Random thoughts so far....
  • I do have some fatter-rim 2" x 24" wheels so an all-terrain machine?
    • Is 24" a good size for this, it is a higher-ride over 20"?
  • I also have that folding hinge from a 1960's Hercules so another folding bike might be a good idea?
  • I do have another Python Pivot (super-pivot with TRB's) already made and ready to go.
    • But do I need or want a second Python in my stable of mounts?
  • I am liking the Delta style and its maneuverability so maybe a decent-sized Delta instead?
  • The taming of 'tilting' would be a bit of a coup, but is that a step too far?
    • What about a delta that could do both standard delta "OR" tilting delta?
  • Round tube, or square?
The permutations are endless. I think this is one to "think about" and not rush in too soon.

Cargo Delta with electric assist and fairing?
Sadly I have no space for such a beast Brad. There is no ride-able access from the back of the property to the road and the side path is <34" wide.
I have the Python vertically against the wall of my little workshop and the Tadpole is in the space you have to stand in to do any work. No "Acres of space" here 😢

I'd suggest going the whole hog and making a leaning trike. If you got a pipe you could look as cool as the chap on this:-

I'd suggest going the whole hog and making a leaning trike. If you got a pipe you could look as cool as the chap on this:-

That is very clever but its a bit "small" and too low down. I am thinking more along the lines of a taller/longer delta trike but there are a few drawbacks as we all know.

OK, some parts for some wheels arrived today.
Gee! Ain't they pretty? It is such a shame that they do not stay as shiny for long.
Next month I might buy the tubes & tyres.

It will be a long, long time before we can get to launching her of course.

Today I made up the first two of the three 24" rims.
They are (not surprisingly) appreciably larger than the Cr18's that I normally use as standard on my trikes.
These are Unicycle wheel rims. Double walled and 42mm wide, so maybe some chunky tyres for use on/off-road and cross-country?

Last edited:
Dan

Ok I think it is about time you had the grand kids back ? you are absolutely romping ahead :rolleyes:

Although whilst I am slipping behind I am working on 2 trikes at once 😭

Paul

What is the cost on those drum brake hubs? They sure are nice!
The hub-shells alone are £38 GBP and the backplates (housing the brake pads and mechanism) are about the same. If you want the QR style then it is a bit more and then just the "QR-titty-pins" are £21.99 per wheel :unsure:
The ability to "pop the wheels off" I find very convenient for transport and storage and the drums anchor-up very well (not as sharp as discs), but I find them far more convenient than a disc setup and less fiddly to keep working 100%.

I forgot to say.... as these are unicycle wheels for ADULT unicycles, they are expected to carry ALL of an adults weight on the one wheel. So they should be good for my use and for any cargo-bikers out there.

Dan

Ok I think it is about time you had the grand kids back ? you are absolutely romping ahead :rolleyes:

Although whilst I am slipping behind I am working on 2 trikes at once 😭

Paul
Nooooo........ having far too much fun and "me" time without the little ankle-biters under my feet 4 days a week.
These are just "wheels" there is no new frame/bike to put them on......yet. ;)

Does your next 'project' have to be bicycle related?
Maybe apply your 'other' or the same talents to some 'other' creation.

I just checked, and though we had tremendous contributors, back then, no one has contributed since I posted.
That is a crying shame as there was/is amazing talents out there just begging to be seen.

Remember my thread 'What's Your Other Talent?'

Yes indeed Ed' and beautiful your "other works" were indeed.
Sadly, I am lacking in any of the artistic skills entirely. I am 3-D blind, have poor depth perception therefore, I am tone-deaf, no sense of rhythm, and have what can only be described as a "good face for radio", so my options outside of torturing metal to make smallish things like bikes are somewhat limited. :unsure:

What I might have a bash at is making some more "Wind Sculptures" for the garden and some Obelisks for her climbing plants.

What I might have a bash at is making some more "Wind Sculptures" for the garden and some Obelisks for her climbing plants.
See, that's what I'm talking about. "Wind Sculptures", or metal garden art that's popular here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=metal+yard+art&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwlLaMmMrpAhW3GTQIHYHEByMQ_AUoAnoECA8QBA&biw=1344&bih=726

There are vendors that sell their work at our local swap meet/flea market. Some use river rock and wire as a base to make critters from frogs to ants and even butterflies.

Silhouette yard art is very popular around here as well.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sihloet+yard+art&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=sihloet+yard+art&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.14285j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have accumulated a pile of metal that may someday become my catalyst for doing some metal yard art myself. That is when I can no longer build electric hot rods or bike projects.

Dan

What about a slimmed down version of this ?

Organic engines

even you should be able to get your pudgy legs around this wheel ? maybe even 24" !

Another bearing/pivot challenge !

Dan

What about a slimmed down version of this ?

Organic engines

even you should be able to get your pudgy legs around this wheel ? maybe even 24" !

Another bearing/pivot challenge !
I think the rider is on the wrong-side of the pivot, but there are some great ideas at work there in the front triangle dept.

I think the rider is on the wrong-side of the pivot, but there are some great ideas at work there in the front triangle dept.
Not really it does not profess to be a Python ,which it isn't .

John had a micro light like that , no Python either , that he said was very heavy to steer , of course he did have an engine strapped to the back of it ;)