StreetFighter Delta Sport [Official Thread]

I have officially cancelled the original project.

Now hear me out. Why am I posting a thread on a cancelled project? A few reasons: 1) I'm a noob at this still, albeit, I have grown in knowledge and I jumped into this project too fast. Although I found a shop to make the parts, I have to find time to meet with them. I think the only thing that I'll have them make are the freewheel adapters for the time being. This leads me to 2) I was looking at the plans for other projects and like the idea of a springer style suspension, among other things, so I'm taking StreetFighter to another level.

With that said, I have some questions. Please don't tell me to "just do this" or the like as that just irritates the hell out of me. If I have an idea/theory that won't work or the like, please tell me where my error is, so I can learn from it. If you have a link to something similar, like Brad did in the other post I made, please do, because that's how I learn. I'm here to educate myself on this hobby. If I can save up enough money, I'm thinking about building a breakdown shed in my backyard and buying some "cheap" portable equipment (though I still need to figure out the generator situation), so I can build everything myself from scratch frame to adapters and possibly spare parts (maybe sell parts, but that's for another discussion of course) if I get good enough.

First question: how exactly do the spacers in the freewheel diff (the one piece with the gear in the middle) fit in the equation? It uses two axles, correct? What is the tooth count on the middle gear?

Second question: the mid drive hub assembly uses a welded gear on one side for the rear diff and multi speed gear set on the other for the front crank. Is it possible to add another gear to the one that pulls the rear diff and a derailer for a sort of Hi-Lo setup like you would see on a 4WD SUV or truck?

This leads me to my next question, which stemmed from the above. If I added a second gear of the same size and spaced out more for chain clearance, would that work for an AWD system? Run tubing and the idle pulley like on the other side of the quad and have the front diff offset to align with the chain. This is without regards to steering and what not. I have an idea in mind for that, but I need to draw it out once I figure out how and go from there. Please note that I don't necessarily intend on making it AWD, but if what I've processed makes sense and is fairly easy to install, I just might do that. The same thing applies to the Hi-Lo setup described above (and could only do one or the other at this point if I did).

Third question: I'll be ditching the shock setup for a 4 wheel suspension setup using springers. Will I be fine to use the springers on the inner side of the wheels only, especially if I use two springers per wheel? As for the rear, because of my weight being placed back and overall use of power to both wheels, I thought it might be a good idea to add an extra set of springers on either side of the diff (either one or two per) so the axles can compensate for the flex.

Stay tuned for further questions and information on the project. Thank you for your time, help and knowledge. 🙂

Last edited:
First Update: Looking at the front end of StreetFighter and how the Chopper utilizes the springer setup, I don't see any way to adapt it as it sits. Even if you welded the bar with the springer end to the axle mounting tab and were able to finish the triangle and mount it; there's nothing allowing the springer to move. As always, correct me if I'm wrong or missing something.

Side note: I haven't looked at the rear end yet, but I'm pretty sure I can adapt it with it's current layout if I don't use a closed axle housing. (Built from scratch of course)

So 36 views and not a single reply ?

On here we mainly [ but not exclusively ] build Brads plans or bikes and trikes/Quad's or rides inspired by his plans.

We are acutely aware that weight is the ever present enemy and that complexity attracts weight and fails to perform adequately often enough to rarely be worth the hassle ?

Very few quads have been built , suspension is a luxury most of us learn to live without AND those that embrace it look for simple both in parts and cost.

So advice is going to be thin on the ground and no one will be talking from experience.

Sorry to be so negative.

You have to ask yourself have I ever found anything on the net similar to what I want to build ?
If the answer is no , then probably there is a good reason for that ?

Anyway good luck and don't forget ' without pictures ' it never happened.

Paul

So 36 views and not a single reply ?

On here we mainly [ but not exclusively ] build Brads plans or bikes and trikes/Quad's or rides inspired by his plans.

We are acutely aware that weight is the ever present enemy and that complexity attracts weight and fails to perform adequately often enough to rarely be worth the hassle ?

Very few quads have been built , suspension is a luxury most of us learn to live without AND those that embrace it look for simple both in parts and cost.

So advice is going to be thin on the ground and no one will be talking from experience.

Sorry to be so negative.

You have to ask yourself have I ever found anything on the net similar to what I want to build ?
If the answer is no , then probably there is a good reason for that ?

Anyway good luck and don't forget ' without pictures ' it never happened.

Paul
Thanks for the reply!
Yes, I'm aware of the issues and such that you mentioned, which is why I ask questions here. When I search for information, sometimes I don't use keywords (for lack of knowing the word or just can't think of it off the top of my head), so that's where multiple brains come in handy. I don't want to complicate this too much, but I also don't want it "in stock form", which is why I thought a "hybrid" setup between the plans available might be fairly easy to implement. For example, the reason why I decided to consider the springer setup over a rear shock is finding a bicycle for the parts isn't easy and the one that I did find, the dude kept flaking, so I said screw it.

I appreciate the honesty because at least I know where everyone stands as far as knowledge and experience is, especially in this forum. Otherwise I'm left scratching my head and getting irritated because I feel like I'm going nowhere and if I were to attempt in real life and fail without understanding it would only piss me off. I ask questions because I want to know and understand if/how things work, especially mechanical stuff like this.

With that said, I don't want to build it stock. I don't like the one wheel drive; I might as well just buy a Walmart bike and be done with it at that point. I also want to ride this long distance in single trips (50+ miles), so not only is the comfortability a factor, (I used to have a 50cc scooter without any suspension and it absolutely hurt after 8 miles from work to home.) but I want to be able to do some mild off-road riding as well. I just need to know if I can make the modifications, even if that means some minor changes (and extended time) to make it happen. If not then I'm wasting my time and need to find a different hobby.

Finally, if it comes down to just having the rear differential, 4 wheel disc brakes and rear shock, I'd be happy with that and would even look into fenders for the rainy season for a mostly all year commute riding. It's essentially a Timberwolf/StreetFighter combo with the added benefit of brakes all around and two wheel drive. I just need to locate a bicycle with a rear shock. I just want to be able to build something that I can enjoy and not get bored or angry with at the very least.

The more you build, the more you learn, but start with keeping it simple.
You can always ad things later or build a new one as you know what you are doing.
Build it step by step and don't start with making it to hard. You will have more fun, then as you make it hard and don't get it done.
Also it us what Paul says, simple is better.
Even the trikes that you buy in the shop, are build as simple as possible and they have more tools.