StreetFighter QuadCycle electric motor

Ciao a tutti . Mi chiamo Leonardo e scrivo dall'Italia.
Ieri ho scoperto questo fantastico forum e ho acquistato il mio primo progetto (StreetFighter QuadCycle). La mia idea era di dotarla di un motore elettrico come quelli delle e-bike, ma visto il progetto ho capito che l'unico modo è montare un motore bafang nel movimento centrale dei pedali. Qualcuno ha fatto questa modifica? Grazie

Hello to all . My name is Leonardo and I write from Italy.
Yesterday I discovered this amazing forum and bought my first project (StreetFighter QuadCycle). My idea was to equip it with an electric motor like those of e-bikes, but given the project I realized that the only way is to mount a bafang motor in the bottom bracket of the pedals. Has anyone made this change? Thanks

If the Streetfighter is a 1 rear wheel driven machine like the delta's then putting a bafang unit in in place of the usual bottom bracket and chain-rings then there would be no problem.

Se la Streetfighter è una macchina a 1 ruota posteriore come quella del delta, quindi mettendo un'unità bafang al posto del solito movimento centrale e anelli della catena, allora non ci sarebbero problemi

Ciao e grazie per le risposte. Lo Streetfighter è a 4 ruote ma vista la particolare costruzione (basta vedere qui sul sito) forse sono obbligato ad usare il bafang. Grazie

On my street fighter-based quad i pedal on rear left wheel and put the electric drive (and a disc brake) on the rear right wheel.
For the electric drive I bought chain and sprockets for electric scooters. Works fine!

Sul mio quad da street fighter pedalo sulla ruota posteriore sinistra e metto la trazione elettrica (e un freno a disco) sulla ruota posteriore destra.
Per la trazione elettrica ho acquistato catena e pignoni per monopattini elettrici. Funziona bene!

You did something amazing.... Great. But of the modification with the engine you see very little. Do you have detailed photos? The basic project, however, remains that of the street fighter, except for the modification to the engine and the steering right

Watching the video he has taken a hub motor changed the sprocket for a larger one and used a single chain.
I think the skill is deciding what ratio to make drive sprockets.

Paul

Grazie per la tua risposta. Devo valutare se usare un motore hub che costa meno o un'unità che si collega ai pedali che costa di più

Trying to upload a picture with a better view, but gets a ”something went wrong” when pasteing.
Maybe U can see it here:
Edit; When I posted this post the pic showed up!🤔

As Stormbird suggests there are som considerations to do with the sprockets.
The sprocket on the motor hub and the one on the axle are the same size; Ratio 1:1.
BUT the hub motor is from a 26” wheel and now thrusts a 20” wheel which means it is geared down. Pedelec speed is now ca 21km/h.
NB hub motor is designed for brake disc mount, that is used for sprocket mount instead.

Last edited:
Trying to upload a picture with a better view, but gets a ”something went wrong” when pasteing the link.
Maybe U can see it here:
Hi hape03

Very helpful! I have reached out to you on YouTube as I am interested in building a fourwheeled Street fighter with electric assist. I have a long road ahead, starting with learning welding, but "Man can do what man has done", don't you agree?

I have seen in your videos you seem to be using a MIG welder...with or without gas? Also I am curious about the width at .85 meters, does it seem wide enough?

thanks for any guidance. All the best Dan in Boston

Also I understand that only one wheel is actually providing e assist, while the other is being pedaled by person power, is that correct? I wonder if it creates a sensation of imbalance?

thanks again, Dan

dandeangeli I have a delta trike on which the right rear wheel has a direct drive hub motor and the left is pedal power. Have not had any sensation of imbalance while riding. Also re welding, my 110 welder can use gas or flux core style. I use the flux core wire. Pro's - it's very easy to use. Cons - quite smoky so don't use it in an enclosed space without good ventilation. Also seems to have lot's of welding splatter which requires grinding to clean up.

I’d loved to claim that I end off the road, in the ditch, when pedalling hard (on rear left) but the truth is that neither I or the motor changes the course i any notable way. I foot-brake on rear left and have a disc brake on rear right, and when braking HARD with either side one might experience a slight wish turning to corresponding side if no hands on the steering wheel.
Which is no problem since I’m already in the ditch if I dont keep my hands on the helm….😄
…but thats more about bump steering, rake and all that angles jazz…..🤔
(Using MIG with gas. Works ok for me but dreaming of Brads skills with the stick welder!)

thank you all for your replies, very helpful. As my work area is outside, I will start with FCAW Mig system and use spatter grease to minimize clean up to start the project.

Trying to upload a picture with a better view, but gets a ”something went wrong” when pasteing the link.
Maybe U can see it here:
Hello Hape03 and others

yes I see the picture very well, it is interesting to see how you installed the electric motor.

As I am interested in having rear suspension on my project, I am building a hybrid of the Timber Wolf and the Street fighter. The Timber wolf uses 26" wheels, but the Street fighter uses smaller, bmx size (20 inch) wheels. Do you think 26" wheels will work in the front? I desire wheels of all the same size. Barring that, I could make them all 20 inchers like yours, but it seems easier to find wheels and tires where I am

I am also very curious where the kiddos sit, and in one of your videos we see a scrunched up adult playing accordian. That is a very compelling video to me and looking at it makes it hard not to romantisize life in rural Sweden (?). But I digress.

My motor plan is the Bafang middrive, which I have on my cargo bike and it has served me well.

also how are people posting pictures here? I use Google photos, but my link does not "take"

Thanks in advance for guidance

Dan in Boston