That 2WD unit I made - I have modified it.

The Delta 2WD unit that I made from freewheel screw-on units was a little "heavy" at over 1Kg.
Today I made new screw-in parts out of aluminium, that provide the drive connections from the driven free-wheels to the rear wheel axles.
The steel ones were 164grammes each.
The Aluminium ones are 62grammes each. That's 200grammes saved.
Important? Probably not, but every little helps. :)

And in that vein I have been looking at what material to make the half-shaft axles out of.
My preferred choice would be 12mm x 2mm walled precision tube as it will be light and strong.
I looked at what size "pins/bolts" to use to secure the half-shafts to the 2WD and I think M5 bolts through the centre will be fine as these have a shear strength of over 8 Knm (I think that is about 6,000 ft/lbs and my legs aren't that strong. ;)

Hi Popshot,
As yet there is nothing for it to go in, but clearly it would need to be a 2WD Delta. :)
I built the 2wd unit as a practical engineering exercise to try out some operations on my mini-lathe.
I have the tubing for another trike, but probably not the space for one at this time. :(
A "Hase-a-like" was the thinking.

I totally understand that as well. Just dismantled my 2wd yellow trike because it was far to heavy. "Because I can" exactly explains why I built it in the first place

Last edited:
DannyC

Weight wise where does it stand with the usual Samaga [SP] diff everyone thinks they need ?

Paul

DannyC

Weight wise where does it stand with the usual Samaga [SP] diff everyone thinks they need ?

Paul
Hi Paul,
It is still undoubtedly 180grammes heavier @ 775grammes. Vs. the Samagaga's 595 grammes but that additional 180 Grammes is offset by it costing <£100 to make Vs. the Samagaga's cost.
Not quite sure how much the Samagaga is because there are several versions and some of them need special splined axles too (additional cost) so $545 + ? possibly.

HTH.

Dan.

Maybe your free wheels are heavy ?
I will weight mine when I can next get to them - garage major upheaval at present...
Paul

Maybe your free wheels are heavy ?
I will weight mine when I can next get to them - garage major upheaval at present...
Paul
Cheers, that will be good to know. :)
These are standard SA 22T single-speed units. Each one weights 265g so that accounts for 530 of the total 775g.
While heavy-ish, they are undoubtedly sturdy. :)

I can lay my hands on 3 easily
small14 tooth126 gm
bigger18 tooth165 gm
rattly cheap one from Ebay [ you know the one ] 18 tooth200 gm

So:-
245 gm + [ 2 x 126 gm ] = 496 gm or
245 gm + [ 2 x 165 gm ] = 575 gm or
245 gm + [ 2 x 200 gm ] = 645 gm

So your choice of free wheels is killing it weight wise ?

Paul

I can lay my hands on 3 easily
small14 tooth126 gm
bigger18 tooth165 gm
rattly cheap one from Ebay [ you know the one ]18 tooth200 gm

So:-
245 gm + [ 2 x 126 gm ] = 496 gm or
245 gm + [ 2 x 165 gm ] = 575 gm or
245 gm + [ 2 x 200 gm ] = 645 gm

So your choice of free wheels is killing it weight wise ?

Paul
Yes, it would appear so, but the smaller/lighter ones may be unsuitable from a central bore perspective as they may have insufficient scope to have any decent sized axle inserted and pinned.
The size of the bore is immaterial for their normal purpose, but this use requires it to be to be able to insert an axle (12mm - 19mm).
Thanks for looking into it Paul. Much appreciated. :)

Yes, it would appear so, but the smaller/lighter ones may be unsuitable from a central bore perspective as they may have insufficient scope to have any decent sized axle inserted and pinned.
The size of the bore is immaterial for their normal purpose, but this use requires it to be to be able to insert an axle (12mm - 19mm).
Thanks for looking into it Paul. Much appreciated. :)
err no ?

They all have to be big enough to fit the standard threads on the rear hub ?

So effectively are the same bore ?

Also the 14T are quite a bit smaller so making a smaller unit.

Paul

err no ?

They all have to be big enough to fit the standard threads on the rear hub ?

So effectively are the same bore ?

Also the 14T are quite a bit smaller so making a smaller unit.

Paul
Errr, no.
Not the whole story or requirement really.
The screw-on side may indeed be the same (although like you I do have some that are not 34mm @ 24tpi but are 30mm) but the "through-hole" on the outside may not be that size or anywhere near it.
I think that you need enough material in this boss to be able to drill it out for your chosen axle size (12/16/19mm) and still have sufficient metal left to accommodate "flats" and your securing bolt.

On the SA freewheels the through hole accommodates up to a 30mm diameter stub for this purpose.
On A.N.Other freewheels I have here (smaller/lighter etc. etc. they may be) but they have only 19mm diameter through hole opposite the "screw-on" side which is not quite adequate in my view.
By the time you have machined some flats on the stub for a bolt head and a nut on opposite sides pinning the axle in place there may be an inadequate amount of metal remaining for strength/safety.

Ever since the 2017 crash and the dislocation of the neck and the breaking of the shoulder we have adopted a rather safety-first approach. We do like safety. :)

Still no the wiser , however I removed my finger from the criticism button.

That is unfair as mine remains un-built , mainly because I don't think I am going to go that way for 2wd and in fact possibly not even use single speed free wheels ?

More on that later as I have an idea I want to float passed the forum.

Paul

ps your bigger free wheels diameter could be useful if your chain needs to clear a cross member either in or out the 14t is very small diameter.
the above sentence makes little sense if you omit the 'a' from chain and the spell checker is completely indifferent :whistle: