This is where I work!

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Found some old videos I did of where I work, and what tools I use.
Thought it would be fun to render them in HD and repost.
I still have the same working conditions, but the old shack has caved in.

I post my "working in The Field" series here to show that you can do all of this with minimal tools and parts!

Working in The Field Part One

Working in The Field Part Two

Working in The Field Part Three
Coming soon, I used my monthly satellite bandwidth this month!

So now you know how every bike, trike, and chopper on the main AZ page was made!
The bike being made in parts two and three was this one...

https://www.atomiczombie.com/spirit-short-wheelbase-recumbent-diy-plan/

Cheers,
Brad

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Caught part 2 earlier today on youtube, once again on the Roku box,
while surfing cycling related vids. It had just been posted, & I was view #6! (y)
The bear spray! :LOL: Though a legit concern, I'm sure! :eek:

Man, I could watch a video like this of an entire build, Brad! LOVE IT!!!

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Well, it would be nice if the place I stored everything didn't look like this now!...

The other shack I do the grinding in is sort of holding up, but the compartment next to it is crumpled in.
At least the 3 ground hogs and skunk are happy though!

Brad

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Well thanks dudes, but please don't think I am not totally enjoying it!
I just love pushing with less, it is like a fuel to my fire.

This will prove my complete insanity for wanting all things to be challenging...

I own a drill press, band saw, chop saw, and a mig welder.
All have been packed in the back of a C-Can for 9 years and never used!
I will NEVER use them for AZ builds. They will be Kat's tools when she has a workspace.

Angle grinder, AC welder, hand drill and nothing else. My rule.

Brad

Well thanks dudes, but please don't think I am not totally enjoying it!
I just love pushing with less, it is like a fuel to my fire.

This will prove my complete insanity for wanting all things to be challenging...

I own a drill press, band saw, chop saw, and a mig welder.
All have been packed in the back of a C-Can for 9 years and never used!
I will NEVER use them for AZ builds. They will be Kat's tools when she has a workspace.

Angle grinder, AC welder, hand drill and nothing else. My rule.

Brad
I won't say that having equipment, doesn't make the job easier, or more enjoyable most of the time.
But as I say that, I have returned to using just my hand held grinder, with cut off/flap disc's. My use of a miter saw with a disc worked good, but not great.
I put out $$, for a metal cutting blade. It worked great but dulled quickly. Probably my fault. The company sent me a new blade and didn't ask questions.

Anyway I found it had to be used extremely slow, or risk dulling it. I couldn't make certain angle cuts, without a lot of changing set ups.
So back to the 4 1/2", hand held angle grinder. Actually the cuts aren't perfect, but I'm getting better, and welding helps to cover up many mistakes.

The worst part (for me), and a hand held grinder, is the constant changing of disc's.
As you may have guessed, there is a lot of metal, angles, and pieces in general, in building the StreetRunner.
I was OK, until my second one finally gave up.
I have a birthday coming soon, and I think I see a second grinder in my future.

But even with just one, I'm still ... getting it done.

Last edited:

Twinkle

Super Moderator
The angle grinder is our best friend, My cordless 18v one has become a companion and tends to rode shotgun with me along side a battery drill.
I found that when in full swing you need a minimum of two grinders or you spend more time looking for the key and changing discs than working.
The Lathe and pillar drills although luxury items together with chop saw and chop grinder do get you out of a jam sometimes..
When working in the hut without mains electrictrickery my 3kw generator comes on handy unfortunately it won't power the welder.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Two grinders would not break the rules for me!
I stopped using the keys a long time ago, and now just hit the lock and crank the disc counter-clockwise to get the nut off.
One quick spin with the thumb, and the nut winds right off for a "pit-crew" like speedy change.

Brad

Two grinders would not break the rules for me!
I stopped using the keys a long time ago, and now just hit the lock and crank the disc counter-clockwise to get the nut off.
One quick spin with the thumb, and the nut winds right off for a "pit-crew" like speedy change.

Brad
Didn't know they'd come off that easy.
If I ever get to use mine again, I'll give it a shot! :)
Sure enough ! It works quite well.....who wudda thunk it?
I usually have the guard in place, but it's been cumbersome, with all the angles and curves of this build.

I'm always cautious of binding. Especially with the thin disc's. Anyway I had to try out your method Brad, and was surprised how easy it really was to change.
Loosening it was easy, but tightening it back on, was a different matter. I always crank my disc's down pretty tight. This was a new experience, to say the least.
But it seems to work and if I continue wearing my safety gear I should be OK.

SO !, Now you've gone and done it Brad. I'll have to think of a different birthday present. Maybe a new TIG welder? Probably not..

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
For me, I always need to find time savers!
I don't crank the nut down hard at all, just finger tight. The torque of the motor shaft will do that for you the instant it powers on.

Try it... leave the nut just kissing the disc and then just power up your grinder for 2 seconds.
The nut will seem just as tight as if you did crank it down.

The guard... yeah. I will admit that that is the very first thing that goes, and cannot imagine using it ever.
I am ALWAYS conscious of the line of fire though, constantly thinking... "what it a disc explodes"?
But then again, even with the guard, foolish operation will result in some nasty battle scars.

Brad

Try it... leave the nut just kissing the disc and then just power up your grinder for 2 seconds.
The nut will seem just as tight as if you did crank it down.

Brad
I did just that, and ground down a number of welds. It really is much easier, without the guard on.
But for the 'Na Sayers', I know it's not the safest way to use a grinder.

I will be getting another grinder, in the near future.
One for cutting (with guard), and one with flap disc's, (without guard)

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Maybe a leather apron might be a good idea. Have a look at https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/grinder-cutting-disc-shoots-into-mans-stomach-gif-74885?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=08-26-19#post140482 and you might think again about tightening up the discs or is it that you just like living dangerously. I always use the spanner but have never thought of using the apron. It would only take an accident to convince me though.

I have used safety goggles when grinding and cutting for some time since, despite making sure that the shiny sparklers always go away from me, I reckoned that I was getting grit in my eyes. I know that discs can shatter but it may be due to using such for grinding instead of only cutting. They don't take much sideways pressure - proved by leaving the tool on the floor and inadvertently giving it a slight kick. Maybe I'm buying cheap ones but generally don't have a problem.

The last thing I need is to get up too close and personal with a grinder.

Maybe a leather apron might be a good idea. Have a look at https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/grinder-cutting-disc-shoots-into-mans-stomach-gif-74885?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=08-26-19#post140482 and you might think again about tightening up the discs or is it that you just like living dangerously. I always use the spanner but have never thought of using the apron. It would only take an accident to convince me though.

I have used safety goggles when grinding and cutting for some time since, despite making sure that the shiny sparklers always go away from me, I reckoned that I was getting grit in my eyes. I know that discs can shatter but it may be due to using such for grinding instead of only cutting. They don't take much sideways pressure - proved by leaving the tool on the floor and inadvertently giving it a slight kick. Maybe I'm buying cheap ones but generally don't have a problem.

The last thing I need is to get up too close and personal with a grinder.
All valid points.

The video does seem dramatic. It looks staged to me.
I wonder why he's using two nuts ? And were they even tightened at all.
Not that it doesn't show what could happen with a loose disc.
And isn't that a 'string mop' he's using to hold the piece.

Still your point taken

Bought another new apron, just this last weekend. I have ruined a couple of old work shirts in the past, for just a quick grind.
Still using the spanner to tighten the disc's. Just not cranking it down quite so hard. After all it is driving in the direction of tightening.
And my new 'ish Hercules grinder, has a switch that requires a two action (push down and slide) to start.
Nice option that can help to stop inadvertent starting, while twisting off/changing the disc/nut.

I also bought some new goggles, but I prefer a full face shield, in lieu of goggles.
Mainly for the protection of any breaking disc, and inadvertent sparks.

My Vulcan helmet has a 'grind mode', and I use it every chance I get.
I actually got a warm spark IN my ear just the other day. I was grinding at an exaggerated angle.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Another thing I do is to never place myself in the radial path of the disc. I have had some zip disc explosions, and always stay away of where I am. I would say the most dangerous "grinder scenario" is the dreaded disc grab when a joint collapses. Of course, this is only an issue when you become too comfortable and are not holding on properly.

I also remember that just leaving the driveway in my car is ALWAYS thousands of times more dangerous than using my grinder, so I try not to jump on the current bandwagon that has most people running scarred from using any kind of power tool. Common sense is in our control... at least in the privacy of our personal workspaces!

Brad

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I actually got a warm spark IN my ear just the other day. I was grinding at an exaggerated angle.
A spark in the ear from a grinder is one thing but stick weld spatter in the earhole results in a quick change of position. Fortunately, it didn't get quite as far as the ear drum.