Viking Modifications: Rear Rack, Front Fenders, and a Dual-Front Braking System

Hello All,

I recently built a Viking Tandem trike and toured on it for ~1200 miles and wanted to share a few modifications that I found helpful.

1. Fenders for the front wheel. When going through the rain these are crucial to the stoker's comfort. They can be easily made by bending a piece of aluminium and attaching to the brake arms.

2. Rear rack. This is extremely useful although is very easy to overbuild (I don't want to think about the weight of my rack but could probably haul 300 lbs on it no problem. I especially recommend a rack with bucket panniers. Easy to attach using rope cinches.

3. This modification I think will possibly be the most helpful for others hoping to complete future Viking builds. Try as I might, I could not find through axle disc brake 20'' wheels. Maybe I didn't look in the right places. Regardless, as AZ notes in the instructions, you can use V-Brakes by porting over the Streetfox braking design to the Viking. My problem was that my Viking was going to be loaded down with touring gear and so I didn't think 1 set of V-Brakes would provide the necessary stopping power. Anyone who has ridden the Viking down a mountain knows the terror-inducing speed these vehicles are capable of. My solution was to add a second set of V brakes to the front wheels. So each wheel has a V-Brake above and below the brake arm (the above brake using a front braking system and the below using a rear brake system). Critical to this system, however, is the use of two dual pull brake levers, and these must be cross laced. So my right lever pulls both left and right lower brakes and my right lever does the same for both upper brakes. This system not only enables you to avoid hunting down a wheel compatible with the disc design, but also delivers truly unparalleled stopping power. The combined power of 4 V-Brakes will bring your 45 mph descent to as fast a stop as any disc brake could. This also allows you to selectively apply the brake-pairs one at a time to modulate your braking. Disc brakes are definitely easier in many ways, but I figured knowing about the 4 brake option might help others in their wild AZ projects.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6PqVdf83SKLQjNac1NzV2VCeW9WV0NqbUZOOGRZTkhVOFNJ

I hope the photo links worked and that these ideas might prove helpful.

All the best,
Nathaniel

Sorry, I think I fixed the problem. Lmk if they don't but the link should be open to the public now.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Ebay has a limited quantity of DMR 20mm disc brakes hubs for 49gbp each . Just bought a pair . These and hydraulic brakes should haul you to a stop . Otherwise a pair of sturmey archer hub brakes would look a nice tidy conversion.