Voyager with a 16" front wheel

I have a nice 16" front wheel & tire that I want to use on my Voyager build. I have already shortened a pair of forks to fit. I believe that it will work well if I leave the fork tube a little long and attach the main tube higher on it . We'll find out.

Thom

Well 16" wheels can work on recumbent's [ in fact I own and ride one ] however they are prone to locking up especially on a lightly loaded recumbent front ends and resulting in having no steering which can prove embarrassing and maybe a fall so just be aware when riding .

Try and make your Voyager as short as possible otherwise it will have a very large turning circle , awkward in some situations !
You could ditch the suspension if your riding does not really need it , the bike will be lighter and about 1 ft shorter !

Tip - Stick to one thread if it is a Voyager question/query i.e this one ! it has a good title and will make a good build thread , instead of creating a new thread for every question , it keeps all the answers together and makes it easier to follow should some else want to build the same bike.

Paul

Explain why they are "prone to locking up" please. And what does that mean? The wheel tends to stop rolling? Stop steering? Thanks.

The tyre has a contact patch and a certain weight on it these help it resist forces like turning and braking.

If turning and/or braking overcome this resistance the wheel will either continue to slide instead of turning the recumbent or the wheel will stop turning altogether and slide.

This is made worse by the design of most recumbent's have a very lightly loaded front wheel as the rider is almost sat over the rear wheel on a LWB machine.

These are both bad on a 2 wheeler as the bike tends to go down.

On the 3 wheeler this has the effect of stopping steering input and greatly reducing braking effect , if you are unlucky you simply slide to the scene of the accident.

This is my trike which obviously is not LWB and I am sat very close to a 20" front wheel , however both brakes were on the front wheel and I found it would lock the wheel up when the roads were wet and positively dangerous in snow and ice conditions , i now ride with 2 rear brakes worst they can do is lock one wheel up I still have steering and so it is much safer.

Paul

Thanks. Makes sense. I think, since I've already shortened a set of forks to fit, I'll go ahead and try the 16" wheel & tire this build.
I believe I'll stray from the plans in at least one other area too. I don't like the square tube fitting over the round main frame for adjusting the seat to pedal distance. A slightly larger round tube, split with a means of clamping it down is what I plan to use.

Last edited: