Warrior Trike Build Thread

I'm building another warrior and one more tip I forgot to mention above. If you have to go to a steel supply for the 1.5 in tube, get half inch thick flat bar for the axle tabs. There is always some in the scrap bin big enough since they're fairly small, and it's a big time saver.

I'm building another warrior and one more tip I forgot to mention above. If you have to go to a steel supply for the 1.5 in tube, get half inch thick flat bar for the axle tabs. There is always some in the scrap bin big enough since they're fairly small, and it's a big time saver.
Nice. I'll remember that in the future. Had picked up 1/4 inch thick flat bar. Was planning on doubling it up and welding them together.

Fingers crossed. Ended up marking and cutting all angles for the seat tube, center boom and front boom.

Going to take a nap so I'm feeling fresh when I start welding parts together.

Nice. I'll remember that in the future. Had picked up 1/4 inch thick flat bar. Was planning on doubling it up and welding them together.
I did the same thing with the first build. Then realized later, I'm there buying steel and I'm going to buy 1/2 to make half inch? The pdf said he didn't have it around so he made it. I felt dumb at that point, walked over to the scrap area and found a piece that was 2x12", so I just made two cuts and I was done with the tabs.

I did the same thing with the first build. Then realized later, I'm there buying steel and I'm going to buy 1/2 to make half inch? The pdf said he didn't have it around so he made it. I felt dumb at that point, walked over to the scrap area and found a piece that was 2x12", so I just made two cuts and I was done with the tabs.
I can relate with feeling dumb.

I initially picked up flat bar over at Menards. They didn't have the size square tubing I needed.

Ended up ordering a bunch online from a factory. Realized later that I should have tossed a length of 1/2 inch flat bar in the cart.

You'll find that you should have ordered a great many things at once to save postage. I've certainly done it many times and still do.

My initial build, if it went well, i figured I would be making two more warriors for family so we can all ride together.

And so they begin. I started on July 17 and both have been for their first test rides by Sept 18th. I recieved the laced wheels on Sept 2nd. The first warrior in this thread took about 3.5 months, these two took about a month each, I built them in tandem, it was quicker and easier to make two or four of a part, than get out and set up the same thing multiple times.

It was definitely easier the second time, I kept all the jigs I made the first time, so I didnt have to build something to build something.

There's a saying about projects being 80% done with 80% to go. It felt on the first build, like the finish line kept running away. In an effort to stop that same feeling with these, I planned to build them like ikea furniture. I tried to have as much built and ready ahead of time so i wasn't having to fabricate major parts then work on the trike, then fabricate again, etc.

This idea worked very well, I took four sets of rims/hubs to a bike shop and dropped them off to be laced up. They said it would be about a month, which gave me time to prep everything I could. By the time I picked up the wheels, The only part of the plans I didn't have cut and waiting were the control and steering rods. I didn't make the angle cut or weld on the steering booms until i received the wheels, but the rear forks and back rest were all ready. You'll see altoid tins in some pics, Those were used for parts for the headtubes, I labelled them which trike and tube and had a box of parts for each trike.

This approach worked great. When it came to assembling the trike, i was able to concentrate on the actual assembly, instead of stopping to build a part, then back to assembly, I just picked the part out of the box and it was ready. During the first build I was under the impression the frame was the majority of the work, then learned its not its the easy part. It took more time to make all the parts, than than to assemble the frame.

I highly recommend making ahead of time as much build as you can, cut, weld, grind endcaped tubes, the tabs can be cut, drilled, had the copeing cut and welded ahead. the axle tabs, rear forks, dropouts, brake supports, etc. Just leave a little extra material for final adjustments, half to an inch depending on the part.

Using the original jig, with clamps and welding magnets, I was able to put virtually the entire build in place to make sure everything was correct. in this pic only the rear forks are welded.

I tacked it all into place, took it outside and checked everything to make verify it was correct, then put the second trike in the jig and did it again, then final welded both.

I wanted an easier way to do the steering boom cuts. I freaking hated that part (and the seat) so i set it up the same way as mentioned earlier, however instead of measuring, i took a small scrap piece of tube, butted it up to the frame and put a strip of tape that matched up to the frame on the top and sides to close the gap, then transferred those the same way as the PDF, and cut a test piece then put it into place and it worked. I did this for both sides then was able to use it for a template for both bikes.

And one more pic of the idea I copied from spinners jig, just because it made it so much easier to get right, and hold everything in place and tack.

It's going to be a lot less than twice the effort to make two together.
As silly as that sounds, its exactly right. A good amount of the work is the same for 1 or 2 builds, like setting up the jigs, getting out the tools, putting them away, going to the store for steel or bolts etc.