welding helmet rant

WAS using a Harbor Freight welding helmet and decided to get a good Lincoln welding helmet from Home depot.
Amazing what I have been not seeing. The difference is like night and day.
helmet is set at #10, going to try #9 tomorrow.
next purchase is a cheater lens and a skull cap. Got a hair cut on Friday and now I need a covering for the head.\
Word to the wise, stay away from H F.

WAS using a Harbor Freight welding helmet and decided to get a good Lincoln welding helmet from Home depot.
Amazing what I have been not seeing. The difference is like night and day.
helmet is set at #10, going to try #9 tomorrow.
next purchase is a cheater lens and a skull cap. Got a hair cut on Friday and now I need a covering for the head.\
Word to the wise, stay away from HF.
Hey Idaho, Not to be contrary, but I like my Vulcan helmet very much. I would buy it again if needed.
Which helmet did you get?

I especially like the 'grind mode' that mine comes with. I use it extensively.
Just flip a switch and grind, flip it back and weld....easy peasy.
I will give you though, that the $50 Chicago Electric is no match for the $150 Vulcan.
But then again the CE works fine as a beginner helmet. At least it did for me.

Anyway IMHO, not all of HF merchandise is cheap junk. Especially nowadays, as they have been bringing in newer better quality merchandise. Their new Vulcan brand welder (MIG/MAX 140) has virtually the same features as my Hobart. And I really like their new Hercules brand tools. The online video comparison reviews for them as well as the Bauer brand seem promising. I have one of their Hercules grinders. Again I would not suggest buying their Chicago Electric brands. I went through 2 of them real quick, (within a year). But what can you expect for $6.99? :) You do get what you pay for...right?

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I would be embarrassed to post a photo of my welding helmet here!
.... had it for 31 years now. Kind of scary to realize that and how many things I have made with it.
Have never changed the glass lens or the plastic lens in front of the glass yet either.
It came free with my original department store AC buzz box.

Brad

I would be embarrassed to post a photo of my welding helmet here!
.... had it for 31 years now. Kind of scary to realize that and how many things I have made with it.
Have never changed the glass lens or the plastic lens in front of the glass yet either.
It came free with my original department store AC buzz box.

Brad
Why would you be embarrassed to own an antique? Many older tools are much better made than todays.

Brad, I'm afraid it's too late my friend. You've let the cat out of the bag already.

Welding tutorial page 3?